This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 520 Freezes after Factory Reset

I just did a factory reset on my Garmin 520 and now it freezes on the About screen. It won't turn off the normal way with just the power button, but I can get it to reset by holding combinations of buttons for 10 seconds. But it always hangs on the screen below. I have also tried plugging it into my Windows machine to see if Garmin Express can recognize it, but it doesn't. I suspect the Factory Reset has put it in a mode of incompatibility with the latest Bios?

Very frustrating. I did the factory reset as I bought the 530 and just sold this 520 on eBay. If anybody out there from Garmin or the real world has any idea how to fix this problem I would sure appreciate it!!

• When my 520 Plus hangs I only press the powert button for 10 seconds and the Edge goes out. Then I can normaly start up the Edge with the power button.

To you make a backup of all files that are on the garmin after you had bought it? 

When you connect it to your PC, does Windows recognize your Edge as a drive so you can open the drive? If you can open the garmin drive I think you can try to copy the last Beta firmware on the garmin (you don't need Garmin Express for it). After you copied the beta firmware to the Edge you disconnect it from the PC. The Edge should now reboot and should install the Beta firmware.

Here is the link to the beta firmware:

www8.garmin.com/.../download_details.jsp

• Just happened to me. Answers on this?

• When it's stuck on this screen after factory reset, turning it off isn't possible. It just restarts if the button is held 10 seconds, and it's back to the frozen logo screen. It cannot be connected to a PC, is not recognized when plugged in in this mode. 

• I thought to have the same problem - sold mine for a 530, wanted to factory reset it (that's why I came to this thread). It turned out that just need to wait unusually long for the unit to re-initialize. It started after, IIRC, some 8 mins.

• I am sorry ... 2 years after the last comment I have the same problem.  Can someone say how they fixed it?  I am now just waiting like fwmone says.  I don't know what IIRC means. 

• Never mind.. saw this lifesaver: 

How to Master Reset Edge 520 1. Turn device off or hold Power button and Lap/Reset 2. Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop. 3. Press and release the power button. 4. Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop. 5..Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared. The unit will restart and clear non-vol.

• YES! Only edit for me was on Step 4...I did finally release both Lap/Reset and Start/Stop after a minute because I wasn't seeing the Garmin Logo clear...so I released both buttons and THEN it went into the normal boot up mode and progressed to the factory startup steps (enter age, weight, etc.)

• Thank you to everyone in this thread