This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Not enough space on computer" error updating Garmin free maps on Edge 520 Plus

Garmin Express tells me there is a map update available ver 2019.10, 7GB. I tried to install it and get that error message, and it says to make sure there are at least 12 GB free space available on my computer. I backed up and deleted all the .img maps on the Edge, so it went from 9GB free to 14GB free, rebooted the Edge and tried again. Same error message. I read somewhere that you need 20 GB free on your hard drive to do some map updates so I moved some folders off my PC hard drive to get 28GB free and tried again. Same error message. Any other ideas on how to update the maps?

• Remove stored  activities from <dev:>/Garmin/Activities There is no reason to archive activities on the 520.  Move the activities to your PC.

• After much back and forth with Garmin support, I realized a) that the 12GB free space they refer to needs to be on your computer, not on your Garmin Edge and b) the free space needs to be on the C: drive not any other hard drive, and the 28GB free space on my computer was on the D: drive I use for data. My boot C: drive had only 4GB. Garmin support was very pleasant and responsive, but their troubleshooting protocol did not figure out that this was the problem. Although this may have been obvious to someone else, it was not clear to me that the Garmin Express download of the map file needs to go to the C drive first and then to the Edge, it does not go direct to the Edge.

This is also not clear from the instructions or any other documentation I found, and would have saved both Garmin support and me significant time we wasted on this. Map upgrade went smoothly on a different computer with enough free space on the C drive.

Happy ending.

• This map update process in Garmin Express forces us to use C:\ as the temp storage for map updates and I only have 14GB free.

So, I removed Garmin Express and reinstalled to my D:\drive that has 250 Gigs free and it still won't install.
    Why don't we have the option to use an alternate drive for temp storage so this poorly-conceived process can execute?

• If you have done previous updates, there might still be cached copies buried deep in the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\ folder. (you may need to show hidden folders) Perhaps check what can be removed or backed up elsewhere.

• I scanned the drive with "WinDirStat" to discover large files, didn't find anything I could delete.

Thanks for the answer but it doesn't really fix the problem with the app in how we can't change the temp dir for map updates.

This needs to be addressed by garmin.