This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Power drop outs

Hi,

I was using Edge 520 Plus and Stages powermeter for few months without any problems. This weekend I experienced power drop outs during my activity. Every few seconds it shows 0 w (and 0 rpms) for few seconds, then it shows normal power, but it repeats after another few sec.
It seems that this signal from the powermeter cannot reach the head unit. It is strange because I haven't changed position of my head unit. I have replaced powermeter battery yeasterday and today I still got thos drop outs. I was recording today's ride also with my Fenix5 and it is fine - the droputs are only on Edge. Last weekend everything was fine.

I am adding the screenshot of the drop outs as well as the 2 fit files from the same ride (full activity from fenix and part of the activity from edge - i was recording only few minutes to records droputs).

Do you have any ideas what could be the reason or how to investigate it further?

Kind Regards
  • Hi OnlyTwo ,

thank you for your response :) much appeciated.

I don't understand the part "check with Stages for a ANT+ power boost modus". COuld you please explain what do you mean by that?

I update the firmware in both Edge and Stages on regular basis.
    On my bike I have garmin spd/cadence sensor (GSC 10), stages powermeter, heart rate monitor, garmin edge 510 plus and iphone in my rear pocket.
    I've read in the known issues of Edge 520 (without Plus) on Stages website that in such cases (0w) I should disable the Bluetooth function on my head unit. I will try that, but to be honest I would like to keep all the bluetooth based features, Especially that it worked for a long time.

I unserstood I should connect Stages and Edge using Blutooth instead of ANT+. But how to do that? Do I have any impact on which protocol is used when pairing?
    I will also try to replace batteries again.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers
  • did you always use GSC 10 before this trouble happened
    also check and replace batteries on GSC 10 when needed
    does your Stages also have cadence sensor ? when so they can interfere with GSC 10 cadence data
    a single speed sensor would work simpler together with a combined power meter/cad sensor

Yes, I way using GSC 10 way before buying Stages powermeter.
    My Stages also have cadence sensor, and that's why I am using GSC 10 for speed only (i have removed the magnet from crank), and stages for power/cad. It worked for 7 months without any problems.

Thanks for your support. It seems I need to ask Garmin and Stages customer support.

Cheers
  • Hi OnlyTwo ,

another question came to my mind - is the 20% signal reception normal for gen2 Stages or would you expect higher value?

Cheers
  • The gen 2 transmitters is not that good, which is why it was changed in the gen 3 units, but you should be getting a value > 80%, ideally above 90+ not to get any drops.
  • aweatherall - thank you for this information

OnlyTwo .- - wow, it is impressive how much details you can read out of fit tile. Thanks for sharing this tool. Will do exactly what you suggested and post results here.
  • Under FW 4.00, I have noticed a number of short (a few seconds) dropouts of ALL my sensors (Assioma Power, Garmin HR and Garmin Rear Radar). This was not occurring under earlier FW versions.
  • I have same problem with edge 520 plus fimware 4.00 and Power2Max NG. After I turn off and turn on unit drpopout had been stopped.

I do not have this problem with indoor ride, only with outdoor ride. Plase find .fit file attached. I turned it off at 1:17:16 and after that I did not have any single dropout

[PHP] TYPE=6 NAME=device_info NUMBER=23
    --- timestamp=920295569=2019-02-28T13:39:29Z
    --- serial_number=46503=46503
    --- cum_operating_time=247384=247384 s
    --- unknown15=5026=5026
    --- unknown16=20=20
    --- unknown24=84653479=84653479
    --- manufacturer=29=saxonar
    --- product=1032=1032
    --- software_version=134=1.34
    --- battery_voltage=982=3.84 V
    --- device_index=4=speed
    --- antplus_device_type=11=bike_power
    --- hardware_version=1=1
    --- unknown9=100=100
    --- battery_status=3=ok
    --- ant_network=1=antplus
    --- source_type=1=antplus [/PHP]

As you see ANT+ signal reception is 100%
  • nenadjev, had a look at your FIT file
    there are no ANT+ connection dropouts, only zero values recorded in the FIT file for power and cadence
    and a few stop-starts

any other device connected to the power meter via bluetooth ?
    did you start a route at 09' into the ride ?

I exactly talked about this zero values for power and cadence.
    I had one stop and second one was when I turned off EDGE 520 plus and when I turned it on again.

Nothing else is not connected with PM

I attached two pictures from strava analysis page. One UpHill with lot of power dropouts and second one after I restarted 520 plus without any single power dropout

• well zero values are no coincidence any more
    suggest to contact Garmin Support by phone for quickest solution

not that it matters ....these are your 4 stop starts,1 power off-on and the-end ;)

Actually: 1 stop (mechanical issue), 3 start/stop (I pressed Pause button instead Lap button) and 1 power off-on and the-end :p

I did factory reset for both, PM and Garmin, and I full charged them. We will se what will happen in future.
  • same problems with edge 520 plus...tried with wahoo kikr 2018 and assioma favero..tried with my phone or other device, no problems