This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPX or TCX

Using RidewithGPS - which is the best file format to use - GPX or TCX to provide TBT navigation?

What are the pros and cons of GPX vs TCX?
  • TCX file has the potential for turn by turn direction encoded in the file itself, while a GPX file is just a list of GPS points. So a GPX file I surmise would be fine on a device that has the routing capability on its own, like the Edge 520 plus, except that the device will try to use its own routing capabilities which may vary a bit from what the curse looked liked in RideWithGPS. A TCX file on the other hand I am guessing will try to following the exact turn by turn directions from the file itself.

Both of these are guesses and I haven't done any controlled experiment with this. I have generated courses in Garmin Connect and those show up on my device as .fit files.
  • For "turn guidance" (the big white arrows), tcx and gpx work exactly the same.

Tcx files can also contain "control points", which are a "primitive" form of TBT intended (basically) for units that don't use maps. The "course points" work independently from "turn guidance". Most of the units let you use both or one or the other (or none of them).

Tcx files are just a text (xml) format for fit files. Regarding navigation, the two types contain the same information.

Garmin Connect isn't doing anything that rwgps is doing. That is both work equally well for navigation.
  • For "turn guidance" (the big white arrows), tcx and gpx work exactly the same.

Tcx files can also contain "control points", which are a "primitive" form of TBT intended (basically) for units that don't use maps. The "course points" work independently from "turn guidance". Most of the units let you use both or one or the other (or none of them).

Tcx files are just a text (xml) format for fit files. Regarding navigation, the two types contain the same information.

Garmin Connect isn't doing anything that rwgps is doing. That is both work equally well for navigation.

Did you figure out how to turn off course calculation on the 520 plus?

I like to use TCX or FIT courses with TBT, because you don't need course calculation (calculation takes 5 minutes). But I was unaible to use this workflow.
  • You can switch the calculation of turn instructions off, if that is what you are asking.

Menu -> Navigation -> Courses -> Course Options -> Turn Guidance (On/Off)
  • You can switch the calculation of turn instructions off, if that is what you are asking.

Menu -> Navigation -> Courses -> Course Options -> Turn Guidance (On/Off)

But will you get the turn guidance from the tcx or fit file when you turning this off?
  • But will you get the turn guidance from the tcx or fit file when you turning this off?

It turns "turn guidance" (the big white arrows) off.

The "course points" are are a separate thing (as I pointed out earlier). On some units, there's a different menu option to turn that on/off.

Keep in mind that "turn guidance" and "course points" are Garmin's terms for these features (both features are some form of "turn by turn" (TBT)).

• Thanks for your help. Do you mean the big white arrows on the map? Give course points pop-up messages like "150 meter go to left" in top of the screen?
  • Thanks for your help. Do you mean the big white arrows on the map? Give course points pop-up messages like "150 meter go to left" in top of the screen?

What other big white arrows are there?

The text at the top is also part of "turn guidance".

You can get "turn guidance" with tcx and gpx.

You get "course points" only with tcx.

"Course points" have much more abbreviated (shorter) text with little arrow icons.

Maybe, create a short course around your neighborhood and compare the two (they will need different names)?
  • What other big white arrows are there?

The text at the top is also part of "turn guidance".

You can get "turn guidance" with tcx and gpx.

You get "course points" only with tcx.

"Course points" have much more abbreviated (shorter) text with little arrow icons.

Maybe, create a short course around your neighborhood and compare the two (they will need different names)?

I am familiar with bove. So how can I get "Turn guidance" with tcx/fit/gpx without calulation on the edge 520 plus? I got them on my old 520 but I am not aible to get this on my new 520 plus.
  • I am familiar with bove. So how can I get "Turn guidance" with tcx/fit/gpx without calulation on the edge 520 plus? I got them on my old 520 but I am not aible to get this on my new 520 plus.

"Turn guidance" always requires some degree of calculation (the "turn guidance" is generated by the device).

The main thing that makes the 520+ different from the 520 is the + can use routing information in the map.

Try disabling the map.

This should make the unit do less calculating (maybe, the result will be useful).

(I think the base 520 can do a "light" version of "turn guidance".)