This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation and temperature problem, barometer issue (?)

Hi, don't know if this has been handled before but my Edge 520 have miss-calibrated itself somehow. I assume it has to do with the barometric function since both the temperature and elevation is totally off. And I don't mean just a little off. More like saying I'm at 4000m elevation and the temperature is 110°C. See my latest ride in the photos.
Anyone has a clue, just live with it?
I have done a factory reset without result...

Thanks
Eric ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1328247.png ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1328248.png
  • Some watches from Garmin have similar issues. Apparently, the temperature sensor and the ambient air pressure sensor is integrated in the same sensor component, and they often fail together. (Or perhaps the temperature sensor fails and causes and erroneous temperature correction of the pressure measurement - hard to know, and the end result is the same.)

Some owners of the newer watches have found out that it can be caused by static electricity from their clothes and that the static electricity can be prevented for a few days if they submerge the watch in soap water. However, when this happens to a bike computer, the causes and solutions are probably different (and I don't know if the 520 is submersible anyway).
  • Do you have any stickers or otherwise covering the rear case of the unit? There is a port in the rear case that if covered can interfere with the barometer.
  • Do you have any stickers or otherwise covering the rear case of the unit? There is a port in the rear case that if covered can interfere with the barometer.

No stickers on it or anything covering the rear :/
  • Hmm... it sounds like something could be up with the sensor itself. I'd recommend reaching out to your local support office.