This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RWGPS turn by turn is always too EARLY?

I've been having this problem for about 6 months now. When I import a tcx file from RWGPS the TBT does work BUT it now thinks I've turned before I get to the intersection.

For example: It will display the next turn on top of the map and beep when im about 400 yards away, when I get to 50 yards or so it updates with the next turn before I make the initial turn. So if I'm on a route where we cut through a neighborhood or there are 2 quick turns in succession, the unit will be far ahead of where I'm at. This can cause me to get lost or miss a turn because if I were to look down at the last minute it might say 1 mile when the turn is actually 100 feet from me since it thinks I've already made that turn...does this make sense?

This never used to happen until last fall and into this spring. I prefer to use rwgps, my group will post routes on facebook and I export them to my pc. I usually select 80 meters for the "notify before turn" option. Anyone know what the fix is or what I'm missing?
  • There was a change to "navigation" in FW version 12.1 which is discussed here - https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...520-aa/158992-

Basically if you use a TCX file then you don't need the Garmin "Turn Guidance" on and it will process the course points in the file for the "Crs Pt Dist" field and Course Pt name / distance remaining in the "Guide Text" header on the map page.

It will also display a bottom of screen message with the next turn details when you are on non-map pages and displays this from a variable distance from the turn but generally at least a couple of hundred metres with a countdown, fairly accurate in my experience. The same countdown is on the Guide Text header on the map page (if you have the "Guide text" field enabled)

Thus, in my experience you don't now need the "notify before turn" as the garmin will start the display for the next turn well before the turn.

Turning off the "Turn Guidance" does not remove any features as this was previously used for the garmin to calculate turns by examining the angle between track points in a gpx or tcx but this feature seemed to disappear from 520s in an early FW update.

I have seen videos with the 12.1 navigation eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9pBRgeAPck

The only issue is if you have lots of sensors / IQ fields / phone connections etc and the 520's processor gets overloaded and runs slow / behind but I have not experienced this, removing the Turn Guidance seems to free up unnecessary processing (including the sometimes long "calculating" route phase

• I feel I'm over my head now with all the available settings on the edge and rwgps. Would you mind sharing yours that provide the best accuracy? I like to have the text on top of the map screen and the popups when I'm on the data screen.

Currently I have all options enabled under course options. If I'm following correctly I would now flip turn guidance off and keep guide text enabled? Also I would not use the "notify before turn" feature for rwgps. This is the only reason I pay for RWGPS, so I assume I could cancel the paid membership? Are there other benefits to having a paid subscription? I've compared plans but none of it translates into the real world for us casuals lol.

Thanks for any responses
  • I am on FW 12.1 and have not taken anything later so I might see different behaviour if Garmin has made a further unannounced change in this area, (as they have done in the past), what version are you using?

I think you have got it right, turn off the "Turn Guidance", turn on the "Guide Text" (I don't as it clutters the map and is redundant) and don't select the RwGPS "notify before turn.

If you have the Guide text then you will get the next Course Point name (10 characters), a direction arrow and a countdown to the turn,

If you are on a non-map page then you will get a bottom of screen "popup" with the Course Point name, direction arrow and a count down distance to the turn, this starts (with a warning tone) about 100m from the turn but can be variable

Give it a try and if it works you can save on the paid subscription

This one shows the problem of using the "notify before turn" as the turn point is actually moved by RwGPS in advance of the actual turn and when multiple turns occur in quick succession they become confusing, eg the Francis St turn is relocated to say 100m before the actual Left turn and the subsequnt Right turn is located just before the Francis St turn, confusing

PS - garmin forum software as good as firmware, screenshots display when I edit but then disappear !!!!!!!
  • Traditionally the Edge series has given the turn notification when the course point is reached. To provide the advance notification RWGPS places the course point before the actual turn location.
    About 6 months ago the 520 firmware was modified to give the notification before reaching the course point. The RWGPS feature to position the course point early is no longer needed and actually is undesirable.
  • When exporting the tcx file from RWGPS uncheck the "notify before turn?" checkbox. Then you can see how well the 520 gets on with notification of turns all on its own.