This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Calculate V02 Max and accurate calories?

Hi,

I have used my Edge 520 for 2 rides now with HR monitor and cadence sensor. Under VO2 in Garmin connect, there is no estimate here. When/How does this get populated? The reason i am asking is that i am getting some massive variances for calorie count with the Garmin Edge 520 that is using HR monitor and cadence sensor vs Strava. For example a 25km ride is showing 1087Cal on the Edge 520 vs Strava showing 5741 Calories. Another example is a 38km ride on Garmin showing 1668cal and Strava 724cal. The variance is massive. I have setup my weight (in Kgs), height (metric), it has calculated my Max heart rate automatically from my age and the heart rate zones.

I am hoping or guessing that the VO2 max number may help with more accurate readings. Do i need to complete a certain number of rides before it calculates this? Would calories be linked to the V02 max as well?

Would love to get your thought on both.

Thanks in advance
  • Both VO2 Max and FTP require a power meter.
  • Both VO2 Max and FTP require a power meter.

Thanks for replying and clearing this up, so the VO2max obviously has no impact on the calorie variance being so large.

Thanks
  • There will be a difference between Garmin Connect and Strava because Strava ignores what Garmin Connect calculates and does its own calculations. VO2 Max does not come into Strava's calculations and Garmin's are based on heart rate relative to maximum while also taking into account height, weight, age, gender and activity level. VO2 Max is a measure of how fit you are.

The maximum heart rate Garmin Connect has chosen is probably base on 220 minus age. This is not necessarily accurate for everyone and the only way to find your maximum is to push yourself to the limits to find it. If you are not very fit, this is probably not a good idea.

The difference between Garmin Connect and Strava is less now that I have a power meter. The difference is greater when comparing activities where I'm not using a power meter and using heart rate alone.
  • Thanks for replying. This makes sense. On a side not, ive noticed that when i use Strava alone on another device (not through the garmin and not connected to a HR monitor), the calories are a lot closer. Surprisingly, Strava that has been pushed info from the Edge 520 on the exact same run (2 seperate phones) shows a lot less calories burned.

Seems to me like Strava is penalizing calories from the garmin connect with a HR monitor.

I think if i estimate 15% or so under garmin then i will be on the right track.

Thanks again for your feedback.
  • Seems to me like Strava is penalizing calories from the garmin connect with a HR monitor.

Strava leverages data of other riders (those with power meters - if any) to calculate calorie expenditure. So when someone of your age and weight rides a segment and records power meter data, Strava knows calories burnt. It does not penalize you - in fact, Strava always shows a higher number (as it takes BMR, basal metabolic rate) into account too (unlike Garmin Connect, that gives only active calories).

Unfortunately, for running it does not work (as there are no good method to estimate calorie burn - no accurate power meters, and running techniques vary too much). But for cycling Strava seems to do a good job.
  • The difference between Garmin Connect and Strava is less now that I have a power meter.

When you use Power Meter, both Strava and Garmin show the same number for 'Total Work' - in KJ.

Garmin then simply shows the same number as 'Calorie Burn'.

Strava adds BMR (basal metabolic rate) estimated using your age and weight (roughly 60-90 Kcal/hour) and shows that as Calorie Burn.