This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Device will not see PC or wall charge - can not charge device.

After riding yesterday I plugged my 520 into my pc to upload the ride- nothing... the pc will chime when the device is plugged in but it never appears as connected in Garmin express nor is it seen through the pc in devices. I was able to upload the ride by via bluetooth and my phone, and other than the fact that I can not charge seems to be working normally.

I updated windows (Win 10, if the info helps), all the motherboard drivers and even tried to update garmin express, nothing. I uninstalled garmin express, and factory reset the device, again nothing. Not seen by pc (it will chime so it the pc is noticing a device being plugged in, but its never recognized or seen
anywhere to access files nor will the device start to charge. I also tried plugging it into the wall- still no joy.

I could deal with up loading via my phone if the dang thing would charge, but due to all the efforts I am running the battery down as well now, so I got charge it somehow. I have searched and read quite a few different post on this and other forums)on this topic and tried all (the reasonable ones anyway, *** I even made a foil hat and did a rain dance...) suggestions.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • It sounds like a problem either with the USB cable or the USB port on the 520.

Try using a different USB cable.

Inspect the USB port on the 520, do any of the connectors look damaged?

You can clean them by applying a little WD-40 or electrical contact cleaner to the port and working the cable in and out, 10 times or so to clean the contacts.
  • It sounds like a problem either with the USB cable or the USB port on the 520.

Try using a different USB cable.

Inspect the USB port on the 520, do any of the connectors look damaged?

You can clean them by applying a little WD-40 or electrical contact cleaner to the port and working the cable in and out, 10 times or so to clean the contacts.

I have tried multiple cables, zero there. But contact cleaning, no so I will give that a try.

I am getting an error from windows that says device is drawing more power than port can supply? "POWER SURGE ON USB PORT" (its been in the same port for months). And yes I have tried all other ports on the PC, as well as plugging it into the wall just to get a charge.

Just finished cleaning, a touch of wd40 the ol in out in out and I also used a contact brush as well.. Still no love yet. Damn and I had two other Garmins that I sold. What luck.
  • Try using a cell phone charger.
  • Try using a cell phone charger.

Used the Garmin one, a direct wall mount usb (I changed some of the plugs in my house) and I used the iphone square as well as the larger higher powered block that comes with an ipad. I also attempted to charge it through a large usb block that is supposed to dish proper power to what ever device is plugged in.
    My Fenix watch is still seen and I was able to plug it into the pc and re add it to Garmin Express after I tried reinstalling that. Telling me its not the pc or the usb plugs.
    Other funny thing I noticed- most usb ports are in blocks of two (on the front, at the top on the back of the pc and then several more on the back (all in sets of two)
    if I plug the 520 in and there is something else plugged in, it kills the two slots. I plugged it in on the same set as my mouse- it killed the mouse. Now as soon as I moved
    it to a different set of ports the mouse came back... Not the 520. Ugh

I really do appreciate all the help (used to work in IT support so I can be pretty thorough when looking for a solution.) I have read and tried lost of suggestion (from other threads, reinstalled Express, factory reset the device, used every plug from here to Timbuktu in every kind of port.
    About to give up and send the thing back to Garmin. Just its training season and I hate being with out it.
  • I am having the same problem."Power Surge On USB Port". I have used multiple different cables and two different computers but each time I connect my Garmin 520 the power surge occurs and the USB port or ports are disabled until the computer is restarted. I just bought a powered USB hub and that didn't help either. The entire USB hub was disabled as soon as I plugged in the Garmin 520. Strangely I can still charge the Garmin through a wall power socket so it's still usable but I cannot load courses onto it through a computer. Any ideas? I am expecting to have to send it back to Garmin for repairs if that is feasible
  • Having this same problem with my 820 NOT GOOD!  This has happened to me many time with the 820 and each time I have to send it back to be serviced or replaced...Hmmmmmm.