This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Another Edge 520 text notification issue

Here's the problem: my device will give me a notification that I've received a text but I don't actually see any of the text message. It doesn't show up when it first arrives and I don't see it in the missed calls/text field. I can see that I've missed a text in this page, but I can't actually see the text. Attached is an image of what I see when I receive a text message.

What I don't see are messages like the one shown here: http://gplama.blogspot.com/2015/10/garmin-edge-text-alerts-for-fun-and.html

Here you can clearly see that part of the message is displayed and not just a notification without any of the message.

I should say I've tried many solutions to this problem, all to no avail. Based on previous posts regarding issues similar to mine, I've checked all the notification settings I can think of. My Garmin is set to receive texts, my Garmin Connect app is set to allow texts to be sent, my Bluetooth connection works fine between my phone and device (auto-upload and weather work just fine), and my phone is set to provide notifications of new texts. Regardless though, it still doesn't work.

So far I've tried the following:
1. un-pairing then re-pairing my phone and device - didn't help
2. factory resetting my device - didn't help
3. uninstall/reinstall of Garmin Connect - didn't help

If anyone has any suggestions, please, please send them my way. I'd love to leave this frustration behind me.

Thanks.
  • Did you pair it both with the BT and BLE connections?
  • Do you have both bluetooth connections linked?
    One appears (BT_EDGE_520?) to do the sync etc, the other (BLE_EDGE_520) appears to do the notifications etc.
  • I agree- make sure both BT connections are made as that was what I missed before.

Now that I made both BT pairings- it works as expected.
  • I appreciate your help but I still have a problem; I don't see BLE_EDGE_520 in my list of Bluetooth available devices.
    I have an LG G2 (Verizon version) phone and it has Bluetooth 4.0 (/smart/low energy) but I still don't see it. After I connect BT_EDGE_520 my phone activates a 'smart lock' feature for it which I believe is something to do with Bluetooth smart. Plus, on my edge, during the pairing process, all three icons become highlighted (including the 3rd one for BLE) which leads me to believe it's connected properly. Regardless though, after the pairing process, I've still searched for more Bluetooth devices but don't see anything regarding BLE_EDGE_520.
  • Android will only have ONE BT connection, the iPhones have 2..

Make sure you have authorized notifications. On my Sony Xperia Z5 it is under Settings --> Notification Access --> Garmin Connect. Make sure Garmin Connect is toggled ON..
  • Hmmm... Thanks for that bit of info. I've had the notification access toggled on from the start and I still have the issue. The same thing happens every time; I get a notification that I have a text, the name of the contact comes through, but the actual message remains blank.
  • Okay. After almost a week-long headache trying to figure this thing out I finally have a solution. The issue was my SMS messaging app. I've always used the default one that came with my LG G2 and never thought to switch it out for something else, but that's exactly the solution I found. I downloaded a 3rd party messaging app (Google Messenger), added it to Garmin Connect, and now messages come through as they should. I just thought I'd share my solution in case anyone else has the same issue.