This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 won't power up at All

Anyone had an issue with the edge 520 not powering/starting up at all. I have had this happen twice now.

The first time happened about two weeks after i brought the device last year in October. It just would not start one day with the display remaining totally blank when pressing the "on" button.

I started emailing Garmin support who had not heard of the issue. After about 5 days I decided to return it to the store i had purchased it from and as a matter of curiosity decided to try the on button again and of course it powered on and started working again.

Yesterday the exact same thing happened with it not turning on. Absolutely dead. Any idea/suggestions as to what to do?
  • Same issue.

Anyone had an issue with the edge 520 not powering/starting up at all. I have had this happen twice now.

The first time happened about two weeks after i brought the device last year in October. It just would not start one day with the display remaining totally blank when pressing the "on" button.

I started emailing Garmin support who had not heard of the issue. After about 5 days I decided to return it to the store i had purchased it from and as a matter of curiosity decided to try the on button again and of course it powered on and started working again.

Yesterday the exact same thing happened with it not turning on. Absolutely dead. Any idea/suggestions as to what to do?

Same problem here.

I used it earlier this evening with no issues. The ride uploaded fine to Garmin Connect via bluetooth, but didn't get sent over to Strava automatically like it usually does. So I plugged it in to the computer to upload the file that way, and charge it up. It was off when I plugged it in, and that's how it stayed. Dead as a door nail. I can't get it to turn on plugged in, or unplugged now. It doesn't even show that it's charging.

I don't know if plugging it in had anything to do with it--that's just when I noticed. And I'm certain the Garmin Connect/Strava glitch was unrelated, but I mentioned it for context.

Rather disappointing that Christmas present only lasted two glorious months.

--Jay
  • The Garmin 520 has a 1-year warranty. You can get a replacement unit under your warranty.
  • Hi had the same problem, when I went to turn the unit on the screen flashed the power sign and then seemed to lock on a black screen, cured it by doing the following:-

To perform a master reset:
    1.Power device off
    2.Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop
    3.Power device on while still holding both buttons
    4.Continue holding buttons when Garmin "splash" screen appears
    5.Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears

There's also this that people have tried:-

1.Turn device off
    2.Hold the Down key while powering on the device
    3.Continue holding the down key until the “Factory Reset” prompt appears
    4.Select OK to clear

Hope this helps
  • Same for me.

Day 1 of ownership - loaded Openstreet maps , took for a ride, post ride updloads worked correctly. Left on charge.
    Day 2 of ownership - would not start. Nothing. No charge symbol, just dead.

I tried step 2 :

"2.Hold the Down key while powering on the device". At which point the unit came to life, with previous courses, rides, personal data still loaded. For me, no need to execute the "Factory Reset".

I am sure that Garmin must be aware of this issue, if only somebody at Garmin would admit to it ....

cheers

David
  • Thank you MarkFrow, mine would not function at all, master reset brought it back to life!
  • Thanks Mark Frow, #2 worked (guess not). Mine came on, I put it on bike and it went blank. A real pain when all kitted up and ready to ride. Spoke too soon. It came on but is frozen at start screen.
  • not quite what worked for me, but holding the down arrow got me in USB mode and allowed me to fix it.  Thanks!

• wow i turned my off normally yesterday after almost 2 years of use without issues and today i could not start it at all. not even blink, nothing happened when on charger.

Then i read this post and tried holding DOWN button and pressing Power button (it took few seconds to hold like 5sec) also but it came to life.

Uff I thought i am already 200euro lighter.