This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Odometer setup

Hi,

Is there a way to adjust the odometer in the 520? I add my bike in Garmin connect and insert my mileage somewhere but that does not seem to update in the 520 and there not seem to be a way to do it on the 520. Do you find a way to do this?

Thanks
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Hi,

Is there a way to adjust the odometer in the 520? I add my bike in Garmin connect and insert my mileage somewhere but that does not seem to update in the 520 and there not seem to be a way to do it on the 520. Do you find a way to do this?

Thanks

I called Garmin about this because I wanted to reset mine too to the mileage on my old odometer, and they said there was no way to do it.
  • Mine 520 came new with 29K miles on it. There's got to be a way to set that right. I tried doing the reset in menus and it didn't work.
  • A value of 29K sounds like you have a corruption in the settings.fit file.

You could try doing a full reset or post the Garmin\Settings\settings.fit file here and I will take look.

Non-prompted Non-Vol Clear - Clears NV and deletes all FIT files including Activities, Courses, Workouts.

• Turn device off
    • Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Press and release the power button
    • Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared
    • The unit will restart and clear non-vol
  • You can edit that info with the following procedure:

1. Take the totals.fit file off the unit and convert it to a CSV file by running it through the following website:

http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl

2. Edit the CSV file. The fields are explained in the following post:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?123433-Software-Version-2-40&p=375148#post375148

3. Take the now edited CSV file and run it back through the website above to get a new totals.fit file.

4. Place the new totals.fit file in the Newfiles directory and restart the Edge 520
  • You can edit that info with the following procedure:

1. Take the totals.fit file off the unit and convert it to a CSV file by running it through the following website:

http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl

2. Edit the CSV file. The fields are explained in the following post:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?123433-Software-Version-2-40&p=375148#post375148

3. Take the now edited CSV file and run it back through the website above to get a new totals.fit file.

4. Place the new totals.fit file in the Newfiles directory and restart the Edge 520

I tried this but that didn't work. I edited 2 value in the totals.fit that are the same as the odometer value in the 520 but the value didn't change after a reboot. The file that was created was totals_fixed.fit, before I move it in the new files directory of the 520 I rename it totals.fit, is it possible that the reason why this didn't work?
  • The odometer value and the totals are separate. They do not have to match, but can. The "Totals" are analogues to the trip computer on your car. They can match the odometer, but will not if they ever get reset.

Post the settings.fit file and the totals.fit file and tell what values you want and I can make the change.
  • The odometer value and the totals are separate. They do not have to match, but can. The "Totals" are analogues to the trip computer on your car. They can match the odometer, but will not if they ever get reset.

Post the settings.fit file and the totals.fit file and tell what values you want and I can make the change.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your help. For now the odometer is at 173.5km. My real mileage is 8234km.
  • Try this.

Place the 2 files below in the Garmin\NewFiles folder and rename them to settings.fit and totals.fit.

• Try this.

Place the 2 files below in the Garmin\NewFiles folder and rename them to settings.fit and totals.fit.

Thanks Alan,

Now I have the good value. :) Can you tell me what you changed in the file so I can do it by myself. I have a friend who will surely do the same as he has a 520 too.

Thanks kafou
  • Try this.

I used link above to convert Setting.fit, Totals.fit and also found in folder Sports file Train.fit, however non of them contained distance I rode. Really weird. Now I can not figure where this distance is.
    Can you please explain, which lines you corrected?