This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 25 newfiles - gpx and tcx course loading

So the Edge 25 is supposed to support gpx and tcx import for courses

support.garmin.com/.../case.faces

I drop files of both formats into in the NEWFILES folder on the device when connected. Eject the device and go to Courses and nothing is there.

If I reconnect the device and look in NEWFILES again the files are gone.
  • So the Edge 25 is supposed to support gpx and tcx import for courses

support.garmin.com/.../case.faces

I drop files of both formats into in the NEWFILES folder on the device when connected. Eject the device and go to Courses and nothing is there.

If I reconnect the device and look in NEWFILES again the files are gone.

I'm getting same result. What gives?
  • The Edge 25 only supports FIT files for course import. You will not notice that the Edge 25 is not listed on that page referenced by the URL posted above.

Have read of this thread.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?307826-Edge-25-courses
  • I found that FIT files that you load onto the Garmin Edge 20/25 - in my case a 20 - need to have time properties (tags) and two courses on the device cannot have the same start time. Downloaded or hand-drawn tracks often lack time properties and converted tracks may have identical, default time stamps. Make sure that the files contain correct time tags and FIT files load onto the device nicely by adding them to the newfiles folder and switching the device off and on.
  • That seams very strange as each course file is self contained and knows nothing about the contents of any other course file. Could you post 2 FIT files that have the same start time as I would like to test that as I think the issue maybe due to something else and not the fact that they have the same start time.
  • It is not that two FIT files know about each other but that the Edge 20/25 apparently checks whether a FIT file with the same start time as a course already on the device is being uploaded through newfiles. The attached FIT files, converted from GPX with GPSies, both load fine on their own but there is no way I can get both on my Edge 20 through newfiles.
  • I can confirm that having the same start time is an issue. I will raise a support call with Garmin on this.

There is something not quite right with the process/tools you are using to create the course files as they are missing the the total_distance value from the lap record so when you look at the details you only get a time, but no distance. The lap record is also missing the total_ascent value so that is also missing from the detail view.

As an aside most sites/tools use the time of creation as the start time rather than a static value. That said the Edge should really support files with the same start time. If I had to speculate I would guess it is there to stop the same activity being converted in to multiple instances of the same course.
  • The FIT files were both created using GPSies Convert, the webtool generally recommended to convert GPX to FIT. Input were the two straightforward GPX files attached here.

As an aside, after some experimentation I found the parameter (Speed = 0) to use in GPSies Convert to prevent the issue. I added this workaround to the Edge 25 topic.
  • I experimented too much... The result is the same but I should have sent you the GPX files without any timestamps and the GPSies Convert results of those...

As you can see both FIT files that I created using the GPSies parameter Speed = 0 load fine through newfiles.
  • That changed the way the files are produced to use the time the file was created as the start time and hence avoids the duplicate start time issue.