This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 25 Heart Rate Monitor Battery Questions

Hello,

Apologies if I have not followed forum protocol by creating a new topic, I did a quick search but couldn't see anything relative.

I have a big ride coming up soon which will push the Edge 25's battery life to it's 8 hour limit (with Bluetooth and GLONASS turned off). My question is, does having the heart rate monitor synched to the device drain the battery of the Edge? My understanding is that because it is only receiving data it shouldn't have an impact. I just wondered whether anyone had any knowledge or experience around this?

Also, I often leave my heart rate strap on while driving a car after finishing a ride, by simply wearing the monitor, will that be using the battery life? Or is it only when it is connected to a Garmin device it knows to use the battery?

Cheers
Dan
  • My question is, does having the heart rate monitor synched to the device drain the battery of the Edge?

Impact on the Edge's battery should be minimal, if any.

by simply wearing the monitor, will that be using the battery life?

Yes. In fact, due to the ANT+ protocol principles, the HR strap does not know if it is connected to a device or not. It will be on and broadcasting whenever you wear it, no matter if anyone listens.

• Thank you very much for the response. I think I'll play it safe and go without the heart rate monitor on the long ride, and I'll start taking it off after my rides.

Thanks again!