This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Meaning of wind strength symbol on weather widget

Does anyone know how the wind strength symbol on the weather screen works? The symbol is a varying number of lines (ive seen 2 and 3 not sure if there are more or less). I'm assuming the more lines the windier it is but do we know the wind speeds at which the lines increase/decrease in number?

• Hmmm... You've given me something else trivial to pay attention to!  Thanks a lot!!  Lol

I have a reported windspeed of 14 mph per weather app on phone and I currently have two "wind lines" on the 130.  Let the reporting begin!  This could be fun...

• Update.  Will include previous findings and add to them as we go along.  Wind speed from weather app on my phone for the area.

miles per hour vs. visible "wind lines" in weather widget:

14 mph = two lines

10 mph = one line

• Thank you for this. In my defence I have too much time on my hands Smiley

• Hey, I think it is an interesting diversion!  If anyone cares to play along, copy and paste my list and add to it.  It might hit 20mph winds here today, so I'll see if I reach three lines and post late this evening after my ride.

This forum is a bit dry, needs some activity!

• Ha ha agreed!

Have added to the master list. We have 8 mph winds forecast for tomorrow, I'll see what that brings. Of course the holy grail will be what the symbol is when its totally calm,

14 mph = two lines

13 mph = two lines.

10 mph = one line

• Excellent, another data point!

Another complication... my wind speed mph was from "The Weather Channel" (TWC) and I think that was gust strength.   In looking around at other weather apps, many were reporting about half the wind speed I showed, which was the steady wind.

I'm willing to criticize Garmin all that is needed, but wind speed does seem to have a wide disparity in reporting by the weather apps.  Various lines for "Low", "Moderate" and "High" seem reasonable.  Not all that necessary anyway as you're generally out in the wind when seeing the widget, so not extremely critical for accuracy.

I'll continue to use TWC wind speeds to compare to the number of lines, as I think gusts are more meaningful for being "out in it".  At least we'll be comparing it to a consistent source.

• Two more data points.  Trying to only use "The Weather Channel" as the source for consistency.

15 mph = 2 lines

14 mph = 2 lines

13 mph = 2 lines.

10 mph = 1 line

8 mph = 1 line

• Excellent! I'm using the UKs Met Office site and they are forecasting a 2mph wind at 2am on Sunday which is showing as 1 line. I'm guessing that 3 lines will be 20mph and up. We have some 18mph winds forecast next Tues/Weds so we'll see if that stays as 2 lines or goes to 3.

15 mph = 2 lines

14 mph = 2 lines

13 mph = 2 lines.

10 mph = 1 line

8 mph = 1 line

2 mph = 1 line

• 15 mph = 2 lines

14 mph = 2 lines

13 mph = 2 lines.

10 mph = 1 line

8 mph = 1 line

2 mph = 1 line

Calm - 2 mph = 1 line (varied reports from different sources for wind speed)

I also noticed the temperature displayed by the widget was about 4 degrees too high last night as the temperature dropped.  I wish I knew what the widget was using as a source.  Likely a regional airport which would not drop as quickly in temperature as my rural location.  My own home thermometer and the major weather apps all agreed that it was cooler than the widget reported.  All that being taken into account, the weather widget is a regional estimate, not pin point accuracy.  There are some locations I ride where it seems to be accurate, likely riding closer to the source of the data.

• The source I feel will remain one of life's mysteries. As regards temperature my device is reading a few degrees lower than a couple of local weather forecasts. So at least its consistently inconsistent.

I think all we need now is to see when the magical 3 lines appears.