This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 unable to sync properly

When I am syncing my Edge 130 wiht my iPhone SE my rides upload to Strava, as they are supposed to. But as I have enabled Strava Live Segments I have some of them already on my device. However, now when I sync no new segments that I have starred more recently are showing up, only the 15 I already have transfered stay. I have tried resetting the device's settings but to no avail. I have tried unstarring most of the segments, which did not work. But uploading an activity works like a charm!

When I open the app with my device connected over bluetooth I can press the red button and a prompt comes up, "sync failed", with the option to "sync now". Pressing it causes the device to start syncing, but then it stops and the same message appears "sync failed".

Maybe resetting the device (including ride data) will do the trick, but I would like to avoid that.

• First, make sure the Garmin Connect app is up to date on your phone by checking the Apple App Store.  If it needs updating, obviously, update and try again.

If still not working, I'd suggest closing all apps completely on the iphone ("upswipe" them), then completely shut down the phone.  Restart phone.  (iphones can get funny if they haven't had a complete shutdown in a while.)  Try again.

Also, when's the last time you synced to Garmin Express with the computer?  Might be some "magic smoke" that a GE sync will apply.  Do the GE sync with your computer, then try the GC phone sync again.  

If that doesn't work, try deleting the Garmin Connect app from your phone, then download the app again.

I'd doing these easy things before moving on to anything more drastic.

I've never had this issue, so I can't think of anything else.  Hopefully someone else has better suggestions if all this doesn't work.  Beyond that, time to contact Garmin.

• No luck, I used GE, but still only 21 out of my 30 starred segments show up, and I still get the red thingy when I sync over GC. I tried GE and I have reinstalled GC on my phone. Do you have any other idea? The magic smoke from GE only helped so much. Or should I contact Garmin directly?

• My iphone GC app just updated today, maybe there's some new magic smoke!  Update the app and try again, nothing to lose.

Oh, also, someone way back also mentioned that downhill segments don't show up because "due to safety they don't want people racing downhill to beat segment times".  It could be as simple as that.

• I tried syncing over GE again, but no more magic smoke came. I reinstalled the app but the problem is still there. I don’t think any of the segments are marked as dangerous (is that the same as dowhill?) cause I haven’t seen any markers or messages about that. 

• I've been having intermittent Bluetooth problems with my iPhone 11 just like what you described.  It will just keep failing to sync.  I resolved it by shutting off the phone and then starting it again. Once restarted it synced fine for about a week and then did it again.  A reboot again fixed the problem.  

Might as well give it a shot...it's easy enough to do.

Good luck!

• I tried that too. Doesn’t work any more or less than before. Think I’ll contact Garmin support and see what they can do.

• I do not know what I have done but it is working properly now. The segments not syncing was because they had a negative average gradient, and Garmin doesn't want you to compete downhill, but thanks for the help!

• Just a quick note on this.  I noticed that after upgrading my iPhone to iOS 14 all of my sync problems went away.