This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can Edge 130 get heartrate from a Garmin watch?

Hi Everyone,

New Edge 130 owner here.  After several years away from cycling I started up again this year, and replaced my very old Cateye Mity 3 with a new Edge 130 with speed and cadence sensors.  Having cadence has made a world of difference for me, and I am really enjoying my rides.

I'd like to get heartrate info included with my rides.  I am currently using a Fitbit Blaze that my wife got me for Xmas back in 2017.  This has been solid and I've generally been happy with it.  Until recently I've mostly done strength training, and have been happy with the Fitbit's performance there.  With the gyms closed and slowly now reopening I got the bike out and have been doing more cardio and less strength. I've read about Garmin's watch's strength training and have some reservations given what I've read.  That said, I am curious - if I changed to a Garmin watch would the Connect app for iOS combine the heart rate data from the watch with the ride data from the Edge and do the analysis it would normally do with that information?  Or is it better to have all that data go to the Edge and then send it over together.  I'm not opposed to getting a chest strap style heart monitor, but wanted to examine all my options before I did. 

Thanks,

Gary

• Hey,

You can broadcast HR from watch to edge, but if you wear watch only and record activity with edge you can't combine watch HR with this activity, however, chest strap is a must have, much more accurate 

• I have a Vivoactive 3 watch and Edge 130. The watch can broadcast heart rate on Ant+ and it appears on the Edge display. It is then saved in the activity uploaded to Connect from the Edge. To save the watch battery I tell it I'm doing an indoor cycling activity, as this stops the watch usibg GPS. I then delete the activity from the watch, so I don't get duplicate activities. I agree that a chest strap is more accurate, I just use watch HR when commuting. 

• How did you go to set up the VA3 to communicate HR info to your edge 130? I'm on the same devices and trying to do this and can't figure where to go in the settings.

• It's in Settings, under Sensors and Accessories. I use Broadcast in Activity, but you can set it to Broadcast (but I think that is continuous, not just during an activity, so drains the battery faster). 

• I have FR235+ Edge 130 and can broadcasting only hr not need run activity. ( go to HR and long press Up button then select broadcast HR ) 

• With the VA3 there are more steps to Broadcast HR, and then it takes over the watch display. So it is quicker to set it to Broadcast during activity. It would be good if there was a shortcut like that.