This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Whatsapp notifications

Is there an official statement by Garmin why Whatsapp / Facebook notifications are not working on any of their EDGE devices? I receive most of my messages by Whatsapp / Telegram...
OK. It's not a deal breaker, but why advertise "Smartphone Notifications" etc. when most of the people (at least in Europe...) use Whatsapp/Messenger? The Lezyne SUPER GPS has no problems displaying any kind of Notifications (Whatsapp etc.). Just saying... Shawn-Garmin ?
  • Yes, I absolutely agree. To me "Smart notifications" function means more than just calls and text messages. It even does not show the messages that an activity has been uploaded.
  • They work on my Garmin watch Vivoactive HR, so can't see why this can't be implemented.
  • My understanding, which may well be wrong was that it has not been implemented on any of the Edge devices due to safety/legal concerns. The Edge is typically only being used when operating a vehicle, where as the watches etc are used in different environments.
  • Yes, this may be somehow understandable, but it has two loopholes. First, "Smart notifications" are advertised in product specification, the same wording is used as for other devices (Fenix, Vivoactive, ..). Second, text messages(SMS) are allowed, I do not see any significant difference here.
  • This is my issue too. It's not like I want to screw around on facebook while I'm riding, I just want to get notifications from the messaging apps that I actually use. In any case, isn't it my responsibility to be safe, not garmin's to force me to?
  • True - it's really me who decides if I want to turn notifications on or read messages while riding. But to just allow text but no other notifications fells somehow patronizing...
  • Using an android phone I get notifications from google hangouts (for hangouts messages, not SMS), but not whatsapp. In my garmin connect "Smart Notifications" settings I have "All Applications" ticked, however I definitely don't get notifications from all apps, only some - strange.

If I'm fast enough to press a button when a notification arrives it lets me view the whole notification. If I'm not and I scroll to the notifications page, it only shows me the first few words and I can't find any way of opening it up - anyone know if this is possible?
  • My understanding, which may well be wrong was that it has not been implemented on any of the Edge devices due to safety/legal concerns. The Edge is typically only being used when operating a vehicle, where as the watches etc are used in different environments.

Hi Alan, that's maybe true, but not logic. Std phone messages are shown. So where is the differeence?
  • If I'm fast enough to press a button when a notification arrives it lets me view the whole notification. If I'm not and I scroll to the notifications page, it only shows me the first few words and I can't find any way of opening it up - anyone know if this is possible?

That isanother annouying thing for year and the same on all Edge showing notifications. It should be easily possible, but as usual people complaining about and they doon't care. My Bolt does show the full message, as long as it fits to the pop-up screen. If not fully shown there you can go to the message screen, select it. Will be shown in full screen and if it still longer you can scroll.
  • confermo che riesce solo a visualizzare gli "sms" , il resto bug.