Who already has the E1050 and what are the impressions?

Users of the new E1050, share your impressions - is the new Edge a big qualitative leap compared to the previous E1040 model and is it worth investing a few hundred on new hardware after changes to the firmware (23/09Beta) and adding a few functionalities?

• I charge all my Garmin stuff with a pair of Satechi GaN charging power banks. The 1040 and 1050 takes less than 2.5 hours to go from 10% to 100%. 

• That's weird you say that about the sun. I have had a handful of rides in direct FL sunlight and have had no issues seeing the screen in 100% direct sunlight. I even run mine in dark mode 100% of the time. 

I run my flat on the bars but as suggested before maybe you need to move the angle of the screen up a fee degrees?

• Hi All, 

this thread has been a great insight into the 1050.  Good reading, thank you everyone..

Question:  One of the bug bears of the 1040 (small but annoying), is as I'm getting older, and my sight is getting longer, I find reading the smaller fonts on the 1040 is a bit of a challenge.  99% of things are totally readable, just the one thing I struggle with is if I get a message, I really struggle to read them.  I wish you could adjust the font size on the messages (from phone) screen. Is the 1050 any better in being able to read messages for us oldies with older eyes??

• Today he took his first ride with E1050. My observation is the screen. Good resolution and nice colors. Unfortunately, the displayed data is almost invisible in full sunlight. The handle in Pinarello Dogma F12 is ok and the device fits without any problems, even when I buy a silicone cover.

• I was hesitant to buy 1040 or wait for Edge 1050 when I heard the rumors it would come out soon. After seeing it and that the screen is TFT it was an easy decision to go for 1040. The screen visibility in the sun is exactly the reason I went for 1040. I have Forerunner 265 so far and while the screen is lovely indoors and also for running, it is awful on bike and if the sun is high it is almost unusable.

• In all honesty, I have no idea what settings are you guys using with your 1050s but in my case, riding outdoors here in sunny and HOT Houston, TX, with the sun right on top of my head, even with brightness at 50%, the 1050 looks amazing to me. I’m 57 years old and ride with Oakley Plazma with progressive prescription and Transition treatment and still I see my 1050 perfectly at any time of the day with AUTO brightness enabled. I’m so happy with my 1050 that my 1040 is already for sale at FB Marketplace. 

• I use the same for 4 different devices.

The Garmin is very slow

• I find it interesting so many are having an issue with the screen in the sun.

I hated the screen on my 1040 solar I couldn't see anything in the FL sun. Couldn't see my route lines on the 1040 at all. But on my 1050 I can see brilliantly. The screen is the one and only reason I moved to the 1050.

I have been running my 1050 in dark mode and auto brightness wonder if that has anything to do with it?

• The images taken in the sun above look like a screen angle issue. I know that some mounts do not allow the angle to be changed, but if the mount does I would suggest trying some different angles.

• Tomorrow I will try switching to dark mode and see if it improves the visibility of the screen. Do you use any glass or protective foil?