About to buy the 1040

Greetings,
Looking for a new bike computer. Should I buy the 1040 or is the 1050 just around the corner?
BR,

• The 1040/840/540 21.16/17/18 software release did have a last (“So long,  and thanks for all the fish”) feel to it, nothing new and a collection of trivial “fixes”, I couldn't identify anything among the 35 fixes that was of benefit to me, most of the "fixes" seemed to be issues introduced in recent releases anyway. Guess Garmin is telling users that they should be getting used to writing off their $$$$$$ over two years and not expecting anything beyond that? I think they have lost it, they have certainly lost me, and thanks for all the bugs.

ps I think the 1040 battery life (70-90 hours) & screen (0% backlight day & 10% night) are perfect for my rides, shame about the ever worsening software

• I do agree with that the MIPS screen on 1040 is terrible - but it is not because of being MIPS, it just suffers by the usual garmin el cheepo approach to throw you the worst quality screen for saving 0.0000001 cents in production

even the Fenix watches have this display lottery - some displays are excellent, some are pure garbage with low contrast and bluish backlight

so yes, it could have a better MIPS - anyway I cannot imagine how an LCD would fit the job here

you are probably right if garmin targets with this a demography going out for a local ice-cream shop around the corner

and they won't fill up the garmin forum with the thousands of bugs that garmin is capable to implement on a daily basis now :D

• My biggest complaint by far with the 1040 and previous Garmins I have owned is the screen.  In low light early am it is fine.  On sunny afternoon when sun is behind me and 1040 is in my shadow, the screen is an unreadable black box.  The contrast and brightness are far too low to be usable.  I would gladly trade off some battery life for a screen that is usable in daylight