wifi sync not working

Running 17.29 beta, but also on the previous software, wifi sync was ALWAYS an issue on my 1040.

I truly cant comprehend how is this possible, to have this kind of problem with a protocol that was developed in 1977....

I dropped a post on the beta forums as well, but I'm just completely devastated with the fact EVERY single Garmin device I owned, had always an issue with wifi.

It's like your TOP feature... "Garmin, your wifi connection will never work, when you need it."  Maybe this should become your selling point?

If I would live in US, I would sue you for impacting my mental health. I cant believe how much time Ive spent on trying to make it work. I feel like I work as your tester full time.

The joy of having a nice bike computer is completely diminished and I'm just constantly pissed off when I finish my ride, as I know for SURE, the ride WILL NOT be uploaded automatically and I will need to do some magic tricks to make it somehow upload.

The reliability is a DISASTER and I truly hate my 1040 for this.

The person/team who is responsible for Wifi in Garmin, should be FIRED and never allowed to work on Wifi topic again, in any company. 

• All your steps are confirmed and I have disable the channels 12 and 13 in my asus router!! so my device can only connect between channel 1-11

When I search for update via system it works ok and get the message ''no update available''

When I will sync my activity/training then I get allways the message ''sync failed''

I have firmware final release 17.29 on EDGE 1040

PLEASE GARMIN SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!!

• So, Garmin you have a little problem with the sync. From all my testing with Garmin Connect running and not running on iPhone or my Windows 11 desktop, The sync function does happen even if it says fail. From what I can see, when I save the latest ride, it sometime syncs and adds it to Garmin Connect. It`s a 50/50 chance of that happening. If it does sync and uploads to my phone, then when I go and perform a Wi-Fi sync, it comes up with failed, but Garmin Connect says it synced and gives the correct time the sync happened. Most of the time if I have Garmin Connect not running, logged on, on my iPhone and finish my ride and the 1040 says saved and I check the check mark, the device syncs to iPhone app. I find this every time I log into Garmin Connect after a ride. So, when I ride, I now have Garmin Connect not logged on so the sync when ride is saved will happen. It looks like if sync does happen, when you go and resync, it shows failed on 1040, but says synced in Garmin Connect with correct time. Hope this makes sense.

• One more update. Got back from ride. Saved ride and clicked check mark. Turned off 1040. I then logged into my Garmin Connect on my desktop and low and behold it was synced with last ride. So that tells me that unit is syncing with Garmin Connect even when I am not logged in. Still when I initiate a sync from the wi-fi page, I get sync failed but time stamp in Garmin Connect shows that it did.

• Any solution to the problem? Brand new 540 and have the same bs

• This is more of a workaround than a fix but at least it gets wifi working. I've had wifi sync issues with all firmware version and this is the only thing that worked. 

1. Hold down the power button until the display turns off - force power off basically, ignore the normal power off screen and incident screen and just keep the button pressed until the display goes blank

2.  Wait 10 seconds of so and turn the device back on.  Wifi sync should now work!

3. Don't power off the unit, just single press the power button to sleep it.  If it is turned off by clicking the on screen power off button then you will have to reset again to get wifi working

• So i did a test with my router since i was getting the same issue with WIFI sync. Both 2.4 and 5g were combined and I'm using a WIFI 6 router (AX).

Once i split the WIFI networks separately (2.4 and 5g), Wifi sync worked right away on the 1040.

Sometimes Garmin is not always to blame.. Yes Wifi 6 is a new standard... but on the other hand, it does not need wifi6 bandwidth to transfer a course.. which lowers the cost of the edge device for garmin.. just sayin... 

Using Firmware 19.22

• I too had issues with the Wi-Fi connect gremlin. But a firmware update seemed to fix issue. One thing that you must make sure of is that your SSID`s for your 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are not the same. This not only causes issues with Garmin, but other devices have problems with the same SSID. Another issue is the control channel you use for the 2.4ghz network. I always select a manual channel. If you live in a crowded community, this is a big issue. You must select your control channel to a channel that has very little use and one that is not one of your neighbors. Control channel crowding causes all sorts of hate and discontent on a 2.4ghz wireless network. Lastly, unhide that SSID. I know the net says it's for security purposes, but that about as true as trump won the election. Yes, it`s one thing that a hacker doesn`t have access too, but if someone's going to hack your wireless network, they don`t need to see the SSID to hack your domain. Oh, I forgot to also mention virus checkers. Make sure that you have a rule set to allow your virus checker access to Garmin device addresses. I do think there may be some more room for improvement on Garmins` side, but make sure you're not causing problems on your end.

• This actually works. Would be nice if Garmin acknowledged that it's clearly a bug, when a reset will fix it, instead of having users mess around with their wifi settings.

• I did exactly what you said.. newest firmware.. 20.19..  separate SSID 2.4 GHz network, I can’t choose channels in my Deco M9 configuration…. 
    this network works for fenix7, index scale… but on 1040 I’m getting always “Sync Failed”….

I still think, sorting out WiFi… is the easiest thing in the world.. having this tech for so long… It is ridiculous to have issues like this. 

• I also get "Sync Fail" with every 20.19 Wi-Fi sync activation BUT the odd thing is that it actually works every time both up (sync rides to GC) and down (GPS files, new software versions and "Send to Device" courses). And the even odder thing is that I ONLY get Sync Fail with Production Software releases. I participate in the beta program and if I have a beta version I get "Sync Success" EVERY TIME but as soon as I install the production version I get the "Sync Fail" every time, same wi-fi network, sitting at the same place in front of the wi-Fi modem.

And the oddest thing is that this beta/production has happened with every version for the last 3 versions at least 18.x (5 beta versions then production), 19.x (6 betas/production), 20.x (11 betas then production)

Happy if someone can explain this but it surely must give Garmin a clue as to what is doing this, what is different between betas and production versions to give the different status messages but in the end always works? Garmin has had an upload of my device files 3 times chasing other issues in the betas and has never found issues with the syncing, I suppose because it is working during the betas.