This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

High Aerobic Shortage - still no solution?

Hi,

I have read multiple posts about the issue I am now describing, but still no solution.

When doing cycling workouts (my heart rate and power zones are set correctly), I am mostly in Zone 2, but also quite a bit in Zone 3 etc. As an example, you will see how my workout from yesterday was subdivided into zones. Zone 2 for 40% of my workout, Zone 3 for 20% of my workout. However, this did not give me any high aerobic points in my Load Focus Screen, although I was at least 20 minutes in Zone 3 or above. It is still on 0 points (see second screenshot). It kind of looks like a whole workout has to be classified into one type of "load" in order to give high aerobic points (i. e. to be mostly in that high aerobic range for the whole workout). Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Many thanks

• You can plan your workouts to target a specific Primary Benefit. I am currently training in a pyramidal approach and had to add Tempo and Threshold workouts. This is how the load graph shows after I started planning and doing them about 2 weeks ago (yellowish columns are the High Aerobic sessions)

and the impact they are having in the High Aerobic Training Load Focus. 

Each workout is planned using all the factors I mentioned above to get the target Primary Benefit (Tempo or Threshold, according to my training plan) that impacts the High Aerobic Focus Training Load adding the corresponding value.

The Focus Training Load sections (Anaerobic, High Aerobic and Low Aerobic) increase their values based on the activity Primary Benefit, even if you spend time in other zones.

Cheers

• Yes I know, that's what I already explained a couple of times. And I plan my training based on my knowledge gathered from a professional trainer/teacher with a PhD in movement science where I got some certificates/diplomas in training planning etc.

What you still do not seem to understand is that the algorithm used by Garmin is inconsequent and inconsistent. It either adds all exercise load points to High Aerobic or to Low Aerobic  but never spread over the two Aerobic zones based on the time you spent in Z2 and Z3. The few points out of the exercise load which are added to anaerobic are based on a guestimation of relatively fast increases of heart rate. I noticed once a very high increase of anaerobic load during an as Basic qualified training where the heart rate measurement was disrupted due to electrostatic discharge due wearing a few layers of synthetic clothing on a windy, cold and very dry winter day. So the 'advice'  of Garmin/Firstbeat or whatever you call it, is plain unreliable.

I already explained earlier that it's quite unpredictable if an exercise is labelled as Basic or Tempo where if it's basic despite a lot of time in Z3, the chance of getting overtrained will appear if you would follow the advice given in the trainig load. The other way around can happen as well by the way.

recently I had the situation that all 3 load types were within range, at that same load page it was advised to train somewhat less or less frequent. At the page of the 4 weeks training load however I was not anywhere near training too much. The 7 Day training load was way within the optimal range (green bar). So I use Training Peaks because that's really reliable. There the right values and intensity figures were given.

AND last but not least: The way you really feel should ALWAYS be taken into very serious consideration! If you do not feel well, take a break despite the numbers, advices and recommendations in any kind of tool. I have seen plenty of athletes (both hobby and pro's) screwing themselves up due to neglecting their body signals

• I understand what you mean. I used Training Peaks for a long time to monitor my power based training and I now use Intervals.icu for the same purpose. I used Golden Cheetah for a time as well.

My point is that the Garmin/Firstbeat heart rate based training system has its own approach that is different to other better known systems. Its target is to improve Aerobic Fitness.

Once you get a hold on how their approach works, it is very predictable and can be applied to improve your aerobic fitness, not only in cycling, but in any aerobic endurance sport/activity.

By planning workouts using the appropriate Firstbeat parameters including average heart rate, Aerobic and Anaerobic Training Effects, you can target the Primary Benefit you are looking for. If the workout is done following the set-up parameters, you will get the result.

Of course, during the workout, you have to track those parameters and make sure you meet them.

As for the general guidelines that you get in the Load Focus, it seems to me, but cannot confirm, that they correspond to a “Base” type of training program. If your training plan follows a “Base” structure, you may follow them.

If a different training approach is used, such as Pyramidal, Polarized, HIIT, etc. then do not pay attention to the recommendations and just follow what your training plan calls for.

The Training Status data continues to be of value to measure your Aerobic Fitness no matter what type of training program you are following.

So, going back to the original question in this thread, there is no bug in the Edge 1040 neither in Garmin Connect in this regards.

Firstbeat is a system that has a set of parameters and rules of its own, that once understood and applied will provide predictable and consistent training information.