This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Total Ascent

My three rides so far with the 1040 indicate that the reported total ascent is about 10% less than that reported by the 1030. I have been fairly comfortable with the 1030's numbers as they are usually very close to the elevation gain reported by Google Earth Pro when I import a gpx file and view the profile.

I wonder if Garmin are using the previous algorithm to smooth the height data which is over-smoothing the more accurate height data created when using the multi-band GNSS option.

Has anyone else compared their total ascent data?

• I've been riding for a couple of weeks with the 1040 on the out front mount, and my 1030 Plus in my rear pocket.  On every ride, the 1040 has shown 6 - 9% more ascent than the 1030 Plus.  (Time and distance are also different, but only by 1 -2%.)  Maybe I should swap the positions for a couple of days, and see if that makes a difference.

I don't know why Garmin devices have discrepancies in ascent / descent, but a husband and wife I ride with has used their Garmins on their tandem, and there are differences in not only climbing, but also in distance.