This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

While navigating a saved route my 1030 screen keeps showing tiny segments instead of allowing me to stay with my main activity profile.

I want to stay with my data fields except for turns or when I want to study the map.   Instead, my 1030 keeps reverting to short increments on the route that are useless.   I can tap the screen and it goes back to the data fields and then shortly it reverts to  these small segments.   Have gone through all of the settings and nothing seems to affect this.   This is happening on fit files downloaded from Ride with GPS.

• I am having the same problem.

• Please be careful with the terms. When you say segments you mean segments in the sense of Garmin/Strava ? Or you mean portions of the course ?

I suspect you download a course with turn guidances embedded in it from RWGPS, which is an old way of doing things and is not appropriate for the 1030 since it has its own guidance system builtin.. Instead download a plain GPX, only the route with nothing else in it. You must look at how you created the file, RWGPS has many many options. You want a simple GPX without any guidance cues in it.

• Alternatively create a course with Gamin Connect, that will save you all these issues. Gamin connect recognize the device when you transfer and do it accordingly. 

• It's annoying as hell.  Did it yesterday, and recently, all on courses I created on Garmin Connect.  I turned off the sharp turn warning, and will see how that does today.  Lately, also, when I start a course, it also shows me going the wrong way.  Yesterday it did it, and I let it go, and it settled into the correct orientation, which I have always had set to track up.  But the annoying pop ups are driving me nuts.  I did a factory reset, and no difference.  I wonder if the latest update had something to do with it.

• I suspect you download a course with turn guidances embedded in it from RWGPS, which is an old way of doing things and is not appropriate for the 1030 since it has its own guidance system builtin.

These are "course points" (please be careful with the terms). Garmin Connect also includes them. They have no impact on "turn guidance" (the big white arrows). Again, please be careful with the terms.

You can disable "course points". You can disable "turn guidance".

"Course points" are still useful.

Instead download a plain GPX, only the route with nothing else in it.

If the issue is "course points", they won't be included in the GPX Track file. But nothing else will change.

You can also disable "course points" in the settings for the course on the device. This would have to be done for each course (which is kind of a nuisance).

You must look at how you created the file, RWGPS has many many options. You want a simple GPX without any guidance cues in it.

It doesn't matter what type of file you use (FIT, TCX, or GPX). They all work exactly the same for "turn guidance".

You do have to use a "track" file (not the GPX route option provided by RWGPS). The FIT and TCX options are track files. But there are two GPX files (track and route). Use the "GPX track" option.

Alternatively create a course with Gamin Connect, that will save you all these issues. Gamin connect recognize the device when you transfer and do it accordingly. 

This is just wrong.

There's no "magic" in using Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect isn't writing different files for different models* The files from RWGPS work the same.

------------------------

* Garmin Connect does (or use to) vary how it writes "course points" depending on the models. But this has nothing to do with "turn guidance".

• I wonder if the latest update had something to do with it.

You'd think there would be lots of complaints if it was a result of the latest update. As it is, there's your report and a report from 2 years ago.

Turning off the sharp warnings isn't likely to do anything.

It might be useful if you provided a screen shot (you can turn on screen captures in settings).

But the annoying pop ups are driving me nuts.

Are these pop-ups occurring as you approach a turn?

Do they show big white arrows?

Or are they black boxes (with an icon and a snippet of turn instructions) at the bottom of the screen?

If they are the black boxes, it could be the pop-ups for "course points". If so, you can turn these off in the settings for the particular course (this would have to be done for each course, which is kind of a nuisance).

Or you could export the course file as GPX (GPX filed don't ever have course points).

•  Lately, also, when I start a course, it also shows me going the wrong way.  Yesterday it did it, and I let it go, and it settled into the correct orientation, which I have always had set to track up.

Is it showing the wrong way while you are not moving? Presumably, it "settled into the correct orientation" when you were moving. How long did that take?

• Just came back from a ride.  Did the same thing.  The course points pop up on a map/track page.  I will have to take a pic the next ride.  It is not the turn prompt with the arrow, and neither the black boxes.  Out of the blue, the track comes up on a map page, with a seconds count down at the bottom of the map, to the point.  It has an arrow moving towards the point, which are always within 30 seconds, or less.  When I swipe back to the data page, in a matter of seconds, it does it again.  It is unusable.  I tried every map setting change I could think of, paused the ride, and calibrated the compass.  Nothing helped.  And this time, the arrow was pointing the opposite way, towards me.  I can't use it for course navigation.  I also have an older Edge 1000.  I am charging it up, and going to update it, to see if it does it.  Maybe it has something to do with the way I make the courses in GC.  This is a relatively new issue, though.  It's a lot of money to pay for something that you can't use.

• Weird. You aren't using "segments", are you? Though, according to this, segments don't work with navigation.

support.strava.com/.../216918277-Strava-Live-Segments-on-Garmin-Devices

I tried every map setting change I could think of, paused the ride, and calibrated the compass.  Nothing helped.

I wouldn't expect these to change the behavior you describe.

Maybe it has something to do with the way I make the courses in GC.

No, it's not this either.

This is a relatively new issue, though.  It's a lot of money to pay for something that you can't use.

It would be frustrating. It doesn't seem to be a wide-spread problem.

• Is it the navigation prompts?

Here is one: