This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BROKEN MOUNT TAB ON 1030

As you see i have a similar problem on 1030 with other users, i use the specific bike computer on road bike with the original Garmin base mount, before 3-4 days as i was on a pave road, definitely of vibrations the tab broke. i sent an e-mail to the official service of Garmin here in country that i live and they said to me that i can buy another with some discount and they can not change the device from warranty, because it is a brake. i sent several photos that is absolutely obvious that there is nowhere on the device even a small hit, please tell me what can i do? After a lot of talking and explanations they accept to take the device from there, for seeing it. they told me that they will sent the device (i don't know where) and we must wait Garmin to answer. as anyone can see on photos, there is not even a small scratch on it, i am very disappointed until now, because i have a lot of Garmin's products, as vector-3 and watches and i never expect from Garmin this attitude. i will go tomorrow from there and i will inform you what happen.

• I know about dogears, but i believe that is not the appropriate solution for my case, i am still on warranty and the broken tab wasn't  my fault. I gave 670 euros for this device and i want a clear solution from official GARMIN center.
  • I had the same problem. Within warranty period. Bought the device here in Holland at Waypoint.

After 3 weeks of examination.......got a new device. In almost 2 years 4 new devices: 3 with halo problems. One with broken tabs. Last one no problems till now.

It's a strange problem that every new device has a warranty period of 6 months in stead of 2 years

• But what exactly examine 3 weeks? i am a mechanical engineer, 3 weeks they made stress analysis to see  the behavior of the plastic? please see the photos, there isn't even a small scratch, how they can tell that the brake was my fault? there is nothing to examine further, they must have only common sense. In my opinion they want to avoid of using the warranty.

• The distributor in Holland is very slow with warranty claims........

• I broke two Edge 1030 quarter-turn tabs!  The weight of the 1030 is too much for the quarter-turn mount IMO.  Not sure why Garmin hasn't fixed this in the past four years.  I've also shattered two Varia RTL-510 quarter turn tabs as well.  They did warranty the first one.  Garmin support said it's not common for quarter-turn mounts to break, but I've broken four of them in two years!

• The Garmin quarter turn mount  Is inadequate for the mass of the device.

Look at all the problems that hammerhead is having with the  Karoo Version 1 and their redesign of a more secure mount for the K2.

Hammerhead has a video of their mount shock testing after this was found to be a significant problem for them.

Mount failure is one of the leading causes of warranty complaints.

Be thankful it didn't fall off and get run over

• The problem not only created by mass of 1030 itself, but also from material used for Garmin tabs. As person who familiar with MJF 3D print industry, I will talk with more specific terms of material instead of saying it generic 'plastic'

Outer shell of Garmin Edge seems made from ABS. ABS is very hard and rigid, but also brittle, and intolerance with repetitive vibration and violent shake. Winter season under minus the degree of cold is also making it worse because ABS is more brittle under subzero temperature.

Unfortunately, tabs on Garmin Edge are joined within main shell. This flawed design should be fixed with at least separate tabs secured by bolts, and using more durable material such Nylon PA12. Nylon is very have higher tensile strength and have a bit elasticity, can damp vibration and never brittle almost in all conditions. On SLS prints it also incorporated with fiber glass and carbon, make it more even durable.

For now, any broken tabs should be repaired with Nylon based replacement (such as Raceware) instead of metal based like DogEars. Eventually DogEars will eat base mount and in another day it will cause 1030 flying again...

I have no affiliated with Raceware. I am coming from bike light mount adapter speciality, and that's why I am very aware of material used on mount business.  

• Please reach out to Garmin Support if you experience an issue with broken tabs on your Edge 1030.