This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Navigate to nearest course point(not starting point)

Hi

I want to know if is possible to navigate with Edge 1030 to a point in a middle of loaded course 

Last week I was riding a loop then in the middle of the ride I decide to load another course that was somehow near to my location, but when I have load the course Garmin asked me to navigate to the start , I was closed to the half of the loaded corse 

• This has been my experience as we’ll the device just needs a bit of distance traveled then it figures out the direction it’s headed and stops sending off course warnings.  

• I had that problem too.

Someone can tell me what happen when i load a particular "round-trip" route with the "one-way" (a to b segment) and the "way-back" (b to a segment) on the same road and i start to ride the route in the middle of it?

The device doesn't know if i wanto to go to A or B point...

Will the garmin accept both the directions i can choose or will it alert me with "off course" messages depending on my direction?

Thanks.

• This is my experience; that is, when the software isn't bug-ridden and broken, which is so often is.

• I am trying to figure out the same thing for my edge 530. 
    It seems this is not possible and you need to give a point on the map yourself.

This is really bad from Garmin. If I am using navigation it means I dont know where I am going so how should I be able to choose the best point of entry to the route.

My Mio cyclo 315 just asked at the start if I wanted to start at the nearest point or at the starting point. Such a simple feature.
    I never thought about checking if the Garmin would have it. So dissapointing. I like the size and most functionalities of the Garmin but this, for me, is a major fail on Garmins side. 

• A Garmin will determine if you are at the starting point for a course loaded.  If you are not at the starting point it will ask if you want to navigate to the starting point.  If you accept, the device will attempt to get you to the start.  If you decline then you then need to do your own navigating.  Once the device determines you are on the course and headed in the correct direction, it will start navigation.  Thus when doing an out and back, if you start navigating somewhere on the course, it takes a few minutes (or seconds) for the device to determine which direction you are headed and it will then start to navigate.  That’s been my experience.  I have confused the device on a course that used a road in both directions, with navigation and TBT guidance being incorrect, until it determined my direction, then it corrected itself.   

If you are navigating a pre-determined course, you likely know the starting point, else why would you be using that course ?.  You can choose choose to start from a completely different location, but no device (from any manufacturer) Is going to be able to easily direct you the on best route to take yo get onto that course.  You can look at the map of a course, see the route and then drop a pin onto that course and have the device navigate you to that location.  That’s then trusting the device to find a good route, a crap shoot on a good day, IME.

• When I go on holiday i stay in a campsite. I ussualy get some nearby routes before I leave and put the on the computer. Obviously I dont know my way around the area of where I am on holiday as I havent been there before. and obviously not all routes start at the campsite I am at. So it would be nice to have the edge navigate me to the nearest point of the route. Why would I need navigation if I know where I am going ?? Also I dont want to go to the starting point, but to the nearest point. 

My deceased Mio cyclo 315 did exactly that. At the start it asked if you wanted to go to the starting point or the nearest point. Worked perfectly every time. I dont understand why such a basic function is not in an advanced computer like the edge. The damn thing can tell me when I need to drink and eat. But giving directions, a primary function of a GPS cycling computer, it can not.

• As stated, the Garmin can and will navigate you.  When you start the navigation of a route, it knows it may not be at the start point and will ask if you want to navigate to the start.  Select yes if the start point is where you want to begin.

But No, it cannot navigate you to an unknown point on the route.  You can view the route on the map in navigation, then drop a pin somewhere on that route, then have it navigate to that point, but you relinquish the choice of the route to the device.  You may or may not like the choice made and I know of no GPS, even car units, that make perfect choices.  If you are out where there are few roads, then it’s easy.  If in a more congested area, it’s a bit of a crap shoot, because bottom line is you cannot ask a device to make perfect choices for cycling on every road on the planet, which is what you are asking it to do.

And think that if you were not using a GPS but using maps, but didn’t know the area, you too might make poor choices.  Sometimes there’s nothing like doing some advance research as to where you intend to ride.  

• The way I deal with riding in new areas, is I will look at RideWithGPS for existing courses on an area I’ll be visiting (a I think Garmin Connect shows this as well)  That tells me that somebody has ridden an area and I can see the route.  If it’s useable. I will recreate as a new route, adding whatever sections I need to/from where I’ll be staying, saving and naming.  I then do a number of options for that, maybe different areas.  All of those routes are available as a download to the device.  I’ll either do it when I have cell data, or if not I’ll know that and will download before leaving on a trip.

• Again, Mio cyclo 315 for 6 years not a single problem on 4 far away cycling holidays and numerous cycling routes in my own country. Every time it would just show me the quickest way to the route. 

I am not asking it to give me the most scenic route, I am asking it to navigate me to the nearest point. It is not an unknown point. The unit knows where I am and it knows the route. therefor it can determine what the quickest way to the route is. 

Your remark of using maps makes no sense to me. I am asking a GPS computer to guide me to a nearest point on a route. 

As to planning ahead, I want to spend my time on fun stuff such as looking for nice routes and climbs. Not how to get there or where to park exactly. Thats why I have navigation. Many routes in my country are marked very well anyway.