This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030 Halo (Again) - Garmin Support Woes

Just over a week ago I contacted Garmin Support to arrange the return of my Edge 1030 due to the ever increasing blue halo that had appeared all round the border of the screen.

I called them and spoke to several helpful people, I clearly explained that I was due to lead a club ride on the Saturday morning and would need my device back by then.  No problem said Garmin Support, we can set up the RMA so that a replacement is sent as soon as yours is dropped off at the UPS drop point.  

Excellent I thought, and all it would cost me was £10.99 for the postage.

I dropped the parcel on Monday at my local UPS drop point, it was delivered to Garmin Europe and signed for the very next day.

I eagerly watched the order status on Garmin Supports website, waiting for it to change to 'Received' and then 'Dispatched'.

Instead this happened:

1. I received a second set of emails asking me to pay the postage fee again
  2. The website never changed the status

I decided to chase up my RMA and contacted Garmin Support, only to be told that they would investigate what went wrong.

To date I've had no other contact from Garmin Support and still haven't got my device.

I'm absolutely fuming about this and this is the final straw for Garmin, I will never endorse Garmin to anyone in my local club as a good purchase.  The device itself is flaky at best, numerous issues, the screen halo issue (My second one), continuous failure to upload rides, unable to connect to sensors/power meters, battery drains due to shutting down issues, map updates that are too large for the device, the list goes on and on. 

This device cost me the best part of £500.00 and in all honesty I thought I was buying a market leading device supported by a Global company,  I ride with my local cycle club members who have spent half that on a Wahoo and they are laughing at me. (looking at the empty out front mount on my bars again)

Garmin, if you're reading this then please feel free to get in touch, I'd love to give you constructive feedback from someone who has 30 years plus experience in a prestige service industry role.  I wouldn't want other customers to experience this poor service level.

If you really want to retain customers then you really need to step up a level in your customer support area, this forum is littered with instances of serious failures without any positive outcomes.

• That sucks ... FWIW: I was offered the option of an advance replacement with a credit card deposit.

• Sure does, not a level of service expected from a company of this standing.

I wanted to go down the credit card route but was persuaded by Garmin Support that this UPS drop point process was just as quick and I wouldn't be left without my Edge 1030.

• Update:

So my Edge 1030 is back, great so what's he posting that for, I here you say?

Well the Halo screen issue has been fixed, for now.... (this is my second screen failure in 12 months) but on my ride this morning the phone and Edge 1030 disconnected and reconnected several times on the ride, completely ruining the live track function.

I'm amazed at how bad this device is, I'm absolutely gutted to think how much I paid for this piece of c**p, I must have been mad.

All I want is a device to do what it says it can, reliably, it's that simple.

• I know how you feel, the unit only works fine if you don't use any of the connected functionality otherwise it's pathetically unreliable. They also broke the turn-by-turn navigation in a recent update and are yet to fix it. 

I also experience the phone drops recently.

• I have same issue and finaly after two weeks not hearing back of my h.ow problem they want to replace my device. As I have two important events in the next two months and it can take 26 days to replace my device. So i asked to first get a new device with a creditcard but Duth Garmin refuses Disappointed relieved. So asked to create the RMA so I will sent back my device after 7th Juli, but sinds then no response anymore.  So not sure my device will be replaced soon. In theory I can use one of my other 8 edge devices but non of them will last 14 hours except the Edge 1030..

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

I have previously sent back 2 1030s due to the halo and last time I was offered a refund instead of a new 1030 from Garmin Australia and I was informed I would get a new 12 month warranty with it, which was in October. 

My 3rd 1030 now has the halo and when I contacted Garmin Australia this they have not given me a RMA number but have instead said that I need to send the 1030 to them for evaluation by their "tier 2 team". The generic reply also stated they may replace the unit with a refurbished unit. 

I don't know what has changed since last October but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  

• I'm on my fourth 1030 - the previous three all developed the blue halo. This latest 1030 has a later version of the TCS software. I'll wait to see if this one develops the same problem as the previous three, or if the screen as well as the TCS software has been changed.

My four year old 1000, now being used by my wife, has never had any problem with the screen and has far fewer connectivity problems than the 1030. I don't think she ever actually runs the GCM phone app, but the 1000 always connects no problem, always starts Livetrack no problem, always produces a good livetrack, and always uploads the ride when completed without any problem. Whereas the 1030 often can't manage to do any of those things successfully.

• I've just arranged an RMA for my (almost a year old) 1030 for the Halo issue. The biggest problem was getting an photo of the screen to them as there support email seems to be a black hole. 

Hopefully the replacement will be issue free.

• The Garmin RMA process is very frustrating and I'm sorry to hear you are/was facing the same issue as I was, I'm also extremely disappointed that Garmin can't get this extremely simple customer touch point nailed.

Apparently the reason for my issue was not a failure with Garmin, it was blamed on UPS, the parcel carrier.

That very act in itself is shameful, blame a third party that can't defend itself.

Garmin, you chose to partner up with UPS, stand up and take the hit on the chin like you should.

• I'm not sure it will be, I may be a little paranoid here but I'm sure I can see a very faint blue halo round the edge of the new 1030 screen.  If this one fails then I'm going to blow a fuse with Garmin!

I am really starting to feel like I've purchased a piece of hardware that is not fit for purpose.