This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Replacement with updated screen - corner of touchscreen not working 1/2 of the time

Former Member
Former Member
I'm now on my 3rd Edge 1030. Just got a refurb even tho I'm past a year since the replacement they gave me just within that window turned out to not be the updated screen. Seeing how they just sent me a bad one, I'm assuming they will be obligated to replace it. Today in the dropdown menu I couldn't hit the right arrow to get to the power meter calibration. I could however swipe the main screen right to get there. So I loaded the system test (powered on holding START, held start until the menu loaded.
General info shows the TSC Version 86.04.00 (Finally got the updated screen this time).
However I then loaded Touchscreen BIST
This lets you press areas of the screen to light up all the green squares
Half the time this test doesn't recognize parts of the screen. I run it again and it seems to work okay. Then I run it again and the lower right corner won't work. Then another time the whole left side won't work. Then that will work and the right side won't work. But the lower right is a problem half the time and it shows when trying to swipe trough the widgets.
I've had this for a couple weeks and this is the first I've tried to use it. I'd actually just sent my other back to Garmin last week, so I'm still waiting on the temporary charge to refund. I don't know how much more of this I can take. Don't they actually TEST the refurbs before sending them out??!!
I was just wondering if other people with the new 'non-halo' screen TSC version 86.04.00 are having this same issue?
Reference videos:

Garmin_BIST_Test
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ukWDaJWNKd1JC-SOMVgEXE0KrMHfATvK

Garmin_Widget_Arrow
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J6r-S_aAI21LUe66FyZwPYUEw33Bun1r

• I have to admit, what you show in your videos doesn't look good. Nevertheless I would let another person do the test. If it shows the same result, I would change the device again.
    I myself received a refurbished device a few days ago - also with a new touchscreen version. My device doesn't show these problems.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago
    It wasn't as bad today but was still doing it off and on. It's really weird the way it just comes and goes every 20 minutes or so. I didn't have anyone else around to test, but tried on my old 1000 and didn't have similar issues.
    On the plus side, calling Garmin support was super quick and smooth as usual; have a replacement on the way. I'm actually really surprised how quick their support is by phone.
  • Yes, sadly I can confirm that one of my units with the new screen is also behaving this way. It's not as severe as your case but it sure is present and very irritating.

On the last ride I couldn't even press the large button to calibrate my power meter. I had to sleep and wake before it would respond, such a large chunk of the screen can go dead unpredictably and my corner is also non responsive on the widget loop at times.

I'm getting tired of all these issues but this leaves me no choice but to request another unit.
  • I have exactly the same issue with the new 86.04 screen. Some  times works,, some times doesn't. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to MGMATE

Yes this is very sad.  I got a replacement #3 and sold it.  I'm DONE with the 1030.  Bigger pain in the neck than the 1000 was.  I was set on ordering an 830 but out of the few people who have that and the 530, there seem to be issues on both.  If they're not fixed by the time stores stock them I'm selling my varia hardware and getting a Wahoo.