This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

approach signal waypoints - Annäherungshinweise - Edge 1030

try to find out if approach signalisation to a stored waypoint works with the Edge series?
Base camp allows settings of distances with a waypoint, Unfortunately Edge 1030 ignores indicating when arriving near this waypoint.
Is there any knowledge here about settings activating an alarm ?
  • Not directly.

I was able to use the POI loader to get it to work on an Edge 800.

https://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader
  • The 1030 and newer units do not support proximity alerts.
  • Is there a way to have the 1030 show distance to say a rest stop on a route? Is it possible using RWGPS?
  • Is there a way to have the 1030 show distance to say a rest stop on a route? Is it possible using RWGPS?

Yes. You can use "course points".

RWGPS writes its cuesheet items as course points in TCX and FIT files. If the file has course points, there will be an additional screen on the Garmin that lists them with the distance from your current location.

You can add your own custom cuesheet items.

If you don't need the course points for turns, you can delete the cuesheet items and keep the ones you are interested in.

If you are using a course file, course points are more useful than waypoints because the distance displayed the distance along the track (the waypoint distance will be the direct, straight-line distance).
  • The way I do that it is to add course points for rest stop only, not for turns. I then let the Edge handle turn navigation, but I also enable course points. You then get the course point list page added that shows you how far away you are from each rest stop and the estimated time to get there. You can also use the "Distance to Next course point" data field.

Not sure if RWGPS allows you to specify a food/water stop. You may need to edit the tcx file file if it does not.

[TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 145"]course_point[/TD]
    [TD="width: 74"]enum[/TD]
    [TD="width: 285"] [/TD]
    [TD="width: 86"] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 145"] [/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [TD="width: 285"]water[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [TD="width: 285"]food[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [TD="width: 285"]first_aid[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

• @aweatherall
    thx for yr respond on "proximity alert".
    Is there a workaround, as also POI Loader isn't working, although proximity distance is sent to and filed in the device, POI is displayed, but Edge 1030 doesn't react when arriving.
  • There is no workaround using the standard Edge functions. I don't know if it is possible to code something up using Connect IQ.
  • Not sure if RWGPS allows you to specify a food/water stop. You make need to edit the tcx file file if it does not.

RWGPS provides all of the course point types the Edges supports.
  • Actually I doubt it does support all the course point types that the Edge supports as some are only available in the FIT definition and are not supported via tcx.
  • Actually I doubt it does support all the course point types that the Edge supports as some are only available in the FIT definition and are not supported via tcx.

You don't know what ones RWGPS supports.

There might be ones supported in the FIT file but that's not very useful. These, whatever they might be, are out of reach of your suggestion to edit the TCX file.

RWGPS provides the food one and others. Most of the others would appear to be rarely used. One could use these for purposes they weren't intended for. If one uses RWGPS, it doesn't seem one needs to edit the TCX file.