This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Anyway to set default Course track color on map

Has anyone found a way to change the default track color of courses displayed on a map during navigation. My 1030 defaults to blue and IMHO does not provide the best contrast for identifying the course against the map.

I just upgraded from a 520 that has been in use for 2plus years and first the screen while smaller was brighter and offered better contrast. The 520 defaulted to purple which was a very unique and contrast color against the map.

Any ideas other that editing each course setting individually.

Thanks
D
  • I have the same question. Normally the track color was dark magenta if I rode a saved course. But after the last update (first to 6.30 and also 7.00) the track color is now cyan. Very hard to see. I don't use turn by turn navigation. I just follow the track.
  • DougMIles and devmannl - There is a way to change the color for individual courses. This can be found in the course settings for each course.
    • Touch Navigation
    • Saved Courses
    • Select the Course you want to change
    • Select Settings
    • Touch Color
    • Select Course Map Color
  • I think it‘s necessary to be more specific:
    you must distinguish between the basics of using a course/track:

1) following a track of a stored course without navigation:
    You have to load the desired course, go to settings, make the course „always visible“, chose a color and exit the cours-menu without pressing start.
    In that case you will see the chosen course on your map as thin line in the chosen color.
    Now you can follow this line (track), but you will get no „off course warnings“ and you will see no elevation graph for that track.
    The track behind you - already ridden track - will be a thin cyan line. That color and thickness cannot be changed.

2) following a track of a stored course with navigation but without turn by turn guidance:
    go to „courses“, press the 3-line button and disable turn-guidance, enable off-course-warnings.
    Now load the desired course and press start.
    In that case you will see the chosen course on your map as a thick line in purple color. You cannot change the color or thickness of that line.
    Now you can follow this line (track) and you will get „off course warnings“ and you will see the elevation graph for that track.
    The track behind you - already ridden track - will be a thin cyan line. That color and thickness cannot be changed.

3) following a track of a stored course with navigation and with turn by turn guidance:
    go to „courses“, press the 3-line button and enable turn-guidance, enable off-course-warnings.
    The course will load and the turn-guidance will be calculated. That takes some time!
    Now you will see the chosen course on your map as a thick line in purple color. You cannot change the color or thickness of that line. (Sometimes you will see 2 of the lines, but that‘s another story...)
    Now you can follow this line (course) and you will get turn-by-turn-guidance, „off course warnings“ and you will see the elevation graph for that track.

This color- and thickness-behaviour is the same for all Edge models and for every sodtware - including Edge 1030 v7.0!
  • And good luck to anyone trying to navigate with option 1 ^. The lines are so thin they seem to have been scrawled on with the world's sharpest pencil and the colours are so muted they are barely distinguishable in dark riding conditions. What was a bright, almost neon, thick yellow or green line on the Edge 800 is now a thin mustard or sludge colour on the 1030. I found the easiest option was to select black and enforce 'day' mode (which is a combination I would previously have thought pointless)..
  • And good luck to anyone trying to navigate with option 1 ^. The lines are so thin they seem to have been scrawled on with the world's sharpest pencil ...

You‘re right. For me, too, is 1) useless. I can‘t see the line - whatever color.
  • And good luck to anyone trying to navigate with option 1 ^. The lines are so thin they seem to have been scrawled on with the world's sharpest pencil and the colours are so muted they are barely distinguishable in dark riding conditions. What was a bright, almost neon, thick yellow or green line on the Edge 800 is now a thin mustard or sludge colour on the 1030. I found the easiest option was to select black and enforce 'day' mode (which is a combination I would previously have thought pointless)..

I totally agree with you. They should use thicker lines and colors that are bright and different from colors used in the maps for roads. The cyan color in a slightly thicker version now used for the already ridden track would be OK for me but I can't choose that one.
  • I think it‘s necessary to be more specific:
    2) following a track of a stored course with navigation but without turn by turn guidance:
    go to „courses“, press the 3-line button and disable turn-guidance, enable off-course-warnings.
    In that case you will see the chosen course on your map as a thick line in purple color. You cannot change the color or thickness of that line.
    Now you can follow this line (track) and you will get „off course warnings“ and you will see the elevation graph for that track.

I'm using this option. I know that the color can't be changed, but after the update it was changed to blue. Maybe it is now possible? But the setting is somewhat bugged. I changed the setting and was manage to get it back to purple. But only once. After that it wasn't possible anymore, or maybe I don't know the exact order of changes. But for now, my problem is fixed.
    Thanks. Also Garmin-Matthew
  • I was on v6.3 and now I‘m on v7.0 - I never had a blue track - always purple...
  • While I generally like the larger 1030 display compared to the display on my 810, the colors that the developers chose for this new model is extremely poor for colorblind individuals. How common is this? One of every twelve men. That's right, 8% of men, which is significant. The great majority of these men have red-green colorblindness, as do I. Contrary to popular belief, such individuals do not see only gray. They see yellow and blue at the same intensity as people with normal color vision, but certain reds and greens are either absent or greatly diminished. While the cyan and magenta colors for routes are difficult for people with normal color vision to discern from the other default road colors on the 1030, it is virtually impossible for colorblind people. This is the case even in the ideal conditions of bright sunlight and an uncluttered map. I've lost track of how many times I've made a wrong turn, with people behind me following because I had a GPS with navigation. Needless to say, it's a poor advertisement for 1030's navigational capabilities. I was quite excited when I found the "high contrast" color setting, but was disappointed that I could not discern any difference after applying it. Perhaps it does something for people with normal color vision. It goes further than the default color choices. The custom color choices are not different enough to red-green colorblind individuals, either.

Given the superior capabilities of the 1030 display, Garmin could improve the user experience for all of its users, normal color vision and colorblind alike, by improving their choice of colors for routes and the various road classes. I would be happy to look at sample images on the 1030 and advise how a red-green colorblind cyclist sees them. I have little doubt that there would be lots of volunteers among 1030 users willing to help with this issue, which I believe can be solved by different color choices.
  • While I generally like the larger 1030 display compared to the display on my 810, the colors that the developers chose for this new model is extremely poor for colorblind individuals. How common is this? One of every twelve men. That's right, 8% of men, which is significant. The great majority of these men have red-green colorblindness, as do I. Contrary to popular belief, such individuals do not see only gray. They see yellow and blue at the same intensity as people with normal color vision, but certain reds and greens are either absent or greatly diminished. While the cyan and magenta colors for routes are difficult for people with normal color vision to discern from the other default road colors on the 1030, it is virtually impossible for colorblind people. This is the case even in the ideal conditions of bright sunlight and an uncluttered map. I've lost track of how many times I've made a wrong turn, with people behind me following because I had a GPS with navigation. Needless to say, it's a poor advertisement for 1030's navigational capabilities. I was quite excited when I found the "high contrast" color setting, but was disappointed that I could not discern any difference after applying it. Perhaps it does something for people with normal color vision. It goes further than the default color choices. The custom color choices are not different enough to red-green colorblind individuals, either.

Given the superior capabilities of the 1030 display, Garmin could improve the user experience for all of its users, normal color vision and colorblind alike, by improving their choice of colors for routes and the various road classes. I would be happy to look at sample images on the 1030 and advise how a red-green colorblind cyclist sees them. I have little doubt that there would be lots of volunteers among 1030 users willing to help with this issue, which I believe can be solved by different color choices.

Well said! IMO it should get a higher priority at Garmin than other/additional features like getting whatsapp messages. This is 'core business' . It is a high end cycling computer with navigation capabilities. The rest is nice to have.