This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot Connect to Computer

Hello all,

So since I've had the 1030, about a week, the only way I have been able to get it to connect to my computer is by holding in the lap button and then connecting the usb cable. Today it will not connect even by doing this. First off I thought you should just be able to plug the unit into usb when its off and it will mount. Mine has never done this, it just starts charging.

I am using a MacBook Pro running Version 10.13.6. Trying various cables does not make any difference.

Anyone been able to find a solution?

Thanks for the help.
John
  • I used to have problems with my Edge 1000, which I finally determined were due to using a USB cable that was not the one shipped with the unit. I make certain that I always use the Garmin supplied USB cable with my 1030. I am not a Mac user, though - this may make a difference.
  • Thanks, I've been using the cable that came with the unit. Even so tried about 6 different cables. No difference.
  • I had the same issue, 2018 Mac Book with only the 2 Thunderbolt ports. I could only connect with using a genuine Apple USB to Thunderbolt adapter and then Garmin cable. Each time I ejected the 1030 and went to reconnect I had to change ports on the computer and it would read. Not sure why it is that way, but my experience. I just received a 1030 to replace one with a halo and went through multiple connections as I had to update the software and maps and then move the setting files from one unit to the other. Running 10.14.2
  • I was having the same issues on a Windows 7 laptop, The laptop button solution was sketchy at best and did not work consistently. Here's what works for me, I turn on the 1030 and let it boot up to the main screen, plugging it in with the 1030 "off" or in sleep mode just didn't work for me. Then I plug it into the PC via the USB cable. It take a good 20-30 seconds for teh 1030 to switch to the connected mode, you should see a laptop on the 1030 screen when this happens. Good luck.
  • I had the same issue, 2018 Mac Book with only the 2 Thunderbolt ports. I could only connect with using a genuine Apple USB to Thunderbolt adapter and then Garmin cable. Each time I ejected the 1030 and went to reconnect I had to change ports on the computer and it would read. Not sure why it is that way, but my experience. I just received a 1030 to replace one with a halo and went through multiple connections as I had to update the software and maps and then move the setting files from one unit to the other. Running 10.14.2

Thanks, I forgot I had one of these adapters lying around. Plugged in, the unit turned on ready to ride and about 20 seconds later mounted the disc. Problem solved.
  • Had the same problem. For me the only way I am able to get it to connect to my computer is by having my Edge 1030 switched off, holding in the lap button and then connecting the usb cable. So almost the same as jemsurvey2, but with the device switched off. Hope this will help solve the issue.
  • Hello, I struggled a couple of hours today. Found out, that I needed to plug the cable directly in my iMacs (Late 2017) USB port. The USB-C Port power seems to be less than the ordinary USB port. Now it connects like a charm.

• Cable Matters USB C to Micro USB... www.amazon.com/.../B00UUBRX0Y

This cable is magic and always always works for me and for others. 

• I've never been able to get my 1000 or 1030 to connect to my MacBook pro.  2018 version.

• Hi has this problem been solved. My brand new 1030 is not seen by my mac...........or garmin express. I see alot of communication between users, does Garmin not have a tried and tested solution?