This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Auto Lap Feature

I ride a route where I always try to record a 4km section as a lap. This 4km section is on Pacific Coast Hwy in Huntington Beach, CA. It begins at a drainage grate on the shoulder of the road, and ends at a (now faint) painted line 4km up the road.

I was reading the Owner's Manual for the 1030, and it looks like I could automate this recording by using Auto Lap and Mark Lap by Position. I looks as if I need to make this route into a Course. Then, I'm not so sure how to make it work from there.

Does anyone use this feature, and could you guide me through the setup process?

Do I have to ride the route while using my course file, and when I get to the start, go through the setup process? And when I get to the end, do I just press the Lap button? There is a mention of setting the start point
  • As I understand, the mark lap by position is only used when doing something like laps. At the start of the lap press the lap button and then every time you pass that point a lap will be recorded. I think what you need to set up is a segment.
  • @chaeracogoff is exactly right. The Auto Lap feature only works when doing laps, where you keep going over the same point. To do what you want to do, use the LAP button on your 1030, then at the end of your ride, in Garmin Connect, for that ride, select the Splits tab and you will see the split times for every segment where you pressed the LAP button.
  • pjg61, that is exactly what I do now. I was hoping for a way to have the Edge track that 4km segment for me every time I ride though it. Now, I have to remember to start and end the "lap".

I have created a course and marked two course positions along Pacific Coast Hwy. I'm sure they are off a little bit from where I want to start and finish the 4km, but I'll try it out this coming week.
  • I'm not understanding why you can't set it up as a segment. It seems like this would accomplish exactly what you want.
  • I'll look into that, too. To be more clear about the route I'm describing, I ride south on the Santa Ana River trail, northwest along PCH, then head home via the San Gabriel River trail and Coyote Creek. So I only pass this 4km stretch once in my ride.
  • That is exactly what segments are for.

You should really look into segments. If you have created a personal segment for that stretch, or someone else has created a public segment for that stretch, you will automatically get data for that segment available when you afterwards look at your ride in Garmin Connect. And it will not only be an anonymous 4km stretch - the name you gave the segment will appear in Garmin Connect so it is easy to find and compare to earlier trips which included the same segment.
  • Auto Lap by distance is a feature that existed in the  really old 300 EDGE. You could give a defined distance when the unit would trigger a lap. Extremely useful to get Lap Power on short time period (1km) specially when racing. I "upgraded" to EDGE130 plus (prefer small units) AND this key feature is gone when it was my main field on my main screen.

Can GARMIN address this?

• According to the manual Edge 130 plus got an auto lap function: www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-3B57FFB7-4A80-48AC-B0A9-0ADA13C390FC.html

• Correct, but it is  FIXED 5Km or 5Mile. In all older EDGE you could set the Auto Lap Distance, For me it is a must feature and planning to return it unless I hear from Garmin. (BTW, thanks Andy for the reply).

• Ok. I see that now. It is fixed to 5 km or 5 miles. That is a pretty odd limitation when it is just software that defines it and it is possible to do in other devices.