This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 1030 has no walking profile and is less usefull for recreational usage

I bought in 2010 a Garmin Edge 800 for mountainbike tours and for walking trails. It performed so well that I bought a Garmin Edge 1000 in 2014. All these years I switched between a MTB profile and an walking profile.

I recently bought a Garmin Edge 1030 and expected to be able to again create a Walking profile.
The problem is that this time, Garmin does not offer a Walking profile. It seems that Garmin expects that people who buy a Garmin Edge 1030 use it exclusively for cycling. I however use it 80% of the time for walking trails. The focus is now on professional cyclist and many functions (like segments) are of no use for recreational cyclists. The device does not offer the possibility to hide these advanced functions.

I installed the latest version 3.90 and have discovered several annoying bugs:

1. When I create a profile based on the template “Inside”, the device does shown total climb or total descend.

2. When I create a profile based on the template “Mountainbike”, and select that I want a Straight line for navigation and later choose that I want to return tot the start position, the device does recalculate the route based on Mountainbike. It should use Straight Line. The same problem occurs on all profiles.

Because of problem 2, the device is not of practical use for walking when there is no path.

Another issue is that Menu design needs a rework. Adding/removing/renaming locations or navigation to one of them requires too many steps. My suggestion is adding a swipe from down to up to show a list of favorites locations. Click on one to show a list of options, like navigate to it, rename or remove it.

Please Garmin: make it possible to create a Walking profile, to make the device suitable for recreational users by adding an option to hide professional functions and resolve the no “Straight line” bug.
  • I used my edge 1030 for navigating during a trail. I used montainbiking profile, on wich i remived the segment and the automatic route computing.
    I 100% agree with you, hiking and trail profile would be great !
  • I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem when creating a walking profile. Can't you just change the data fields on screen? I use my 1030 also for Stand Up Paddleboarding. So I've created a profile just for that which just displays speed, time, distance, HR, etc, and removed the cycling specific fields. Or am I misunderstanding your issue?

As for the navigation issue. I haven't tried this, but give this a go.
    Hit the 3 line (hamburger) bottom left to get into settings.
    Hit "Activity Profiles"
    Select your walking profile (whatever you called it).
    Scroll down and hit "Navigation"
    Select "Routing"
    Select "Routing Mode"
    Scroll to the bottom, and select "Straight Line"

Let us know how you go, as I said, haven't tried it, and it's not something I'll try on the board as it's normally just "follow the river" :)
  • It is possible to change the routing mode to "Straight Line". But when I swipe from top to bottom and choose the option to return to the starting point, it does not use "Straight Line". And when I then go back to the routing mode, it is set back to its Original state. The option "Straight Line" is not kept. I think that the makers do not test the device as a hiking only device, but expect buyers to use it primary for cycling.

The hiking devices that Garmin sells cannot be connected to a bike. And free downloadable maps from external sites like OpenFietsMaps are often not installable on these hiking devices. The Garmin Edge 1030 is one of the best hiking navigation devices that you can buy, but it seems that Garmin doesn't know it.

For almost all cities/countries you can download free downloadable maps and that is why I bought it. Perfect for city trips or exploring nature trails. Garmin should promote the device more as general purpose navigation device and implement some of the long overdue wishes, like choose a color for the path already taken and better management of favorite locations
  • I installed the latest version 3.90 and have discovered several annoying bugs:

It sounds like these things worked on the version before 3.90. If so, you should report that to Garmin directly (Garmin doesn't necessarily read the posts here).

Because of problem 2, the device is not of practical use for walking when there is no path.

It's a little more work but you should be able to create a "location" at the start and navigate (using whatever you like) back to that location.

The hiking devices that Garmin sells cannot be connected to a bike.

Some people use the hiking units on bicycles.

And free downloadable maps from external sites like OpenFietsMaps are often not installable on these hiking devices.

I don't think this is true.
  • I did my walk, came back and changed info so it shows up that I walked 1.30 hours, it of course did not have all the other info on it as I was not active when I went for the walk. I just did what you said above. Will give that ago tomorrow, I need the map as Im doing it on my own and a little old to get lost ha. hopefully the woods will not cause a problem.  I thought you just changed names anyway as this is my first GPS.

• This product is clearly and solely advertised as a cycling computer. There are Garmin watches which are multisport. There are also more outdoors centric products.

• Hi Pascal, thanks for your helpful post. I also want to use a 1030 for hiking. Could you please tell me which hiking maps you use? Thanks!

• The Edge product line is marketed and sold clearly and only as a bike computer. However the Fenix line of sport watches is what you are looking for. It is a very versatile device for the outdoors. 

• I use my 1030 for hillwalking and trekking. I fortunately have the GB OS map card which came with one of the earlier models (the 800 I think) and I've moved that to the 1030. When I'm trekking  (or cycling) in other countries I use Open Source mapping. Not sure if we're allowed to post links so will just say that I currently use the open source mapping that DC rainmaker recommends on his website.

The downside of that original GB OS map card is that it isn't routable and so doesn't allow you to use the map card in basecamp to do your routing.