This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Strava Live Segments issues (comparative times are not accurate)

Strava live segments is an important feature for me, because it is really fun. I had an Edge 520 before and it worked fine, but sometimes it lost the segment. Edge 1030 never loses the segment but the comparative times in real time are not accurate at all. I cannot rely on it. For example, I was trying to beat my PB this morning in a 2 km climb. I started at full power and after 200 meters the 1030 said I was 11 seconds ahead. When I reached 500 meters it said I was 15 seconds behind (all of a sudden). I tried to cut the lead for a little while, but I couldn´t do it, so I gave up. At home, I have compared today's effort and my PB and there is no such difference. The two efforts are pretty even, with a minimum difference of 1 or 2 seconds between them until I gave up. This happens a lot. The gap showed by the 1030 is not accurate at all. Edge 520 is far more accurate. With the 520 you know the actual gap during the whole segment and you can rely on it. I don't know if the algorithm of the 1030 is different, but it works worse. Please, implement the same algorithm or method used in Edge 520 for Edge 1030. Thank you.
  • +1. It is the worse thing in this edge.
  • There are a few posts about the accuracy of the GPS signal being worse than other units. The problem reported would be an outcome of a poor GPS signal. How does the recorded track look?

Cheers, Peter
  • The recorded track looks fine, and at the end of the segment you can see the time of the segment, and this time is right. The problem is the gap between your actual effort and your PB. For example, today I was trying to beat a PB in a 3 km climb. During the first km it seems I was 8 seconds ahead of my PB. However, it changed suddenly and it said I was 15 seconds behind. So, I gave up. I arrived at home and compared the two efforts in Strava. When I gave up I was in the same time than my PB. Why the edge 1030 said I was 15 seconds behind? This never happened in Edge 520. I hope this could be solved through a firmware update. If not, I will change the edge 1030. Strava live segments is a key feature for me.
  • Exactly the same in my unit.
  • I am guessing the problem might be related with the tons of times for comparison. Edge 1030 offers you the distance between your actual effort and the KOM, your PB, the best of your strava friends and the last of your efforts. Maybe this requires a lot of calculations and the device goes mad. It´s only a guessing. Edge 520 does not so many calculations and maybe that is a reason for its better accuracy.
  • Thanks for the report Strider. I will do some research on this issue.
  • Good afternoon! The question is more for developers.. why is there a limit of 100 segments on Gramin edge 1030? I have about 200 plots in strava, but I can't load everything... how to be? Do at least 200 if possible...
  • I have noticed the same thing on my Edge 810.
    The time gap will suddenly jump by quite a few seconds. I put it down to a poor GPS signal.

I don't agree that the unit is trying to do lots of concurrent calculations for the various lead times, (KOM, PB, other athletes) because when you switch the target time mid-ride, the unit has to recalculate the +/- difference and does not show the gap immediately.
  • Thanks for the report Strider. I will do some research on this issue.

Thank you Shawn. Today I tried to beat another PB. 1 km climb. The 1030 said my I was 11 seconds ahead. I got the end of the segment and the final time was only 3 seconds ahead. I have the Edge 520 for two years and the strava live segments worked perfectly. It always matched the real time during the effort with the strava data after the ride. Right now only the final time matched with strava. During the segment you cannot rely on it. Thank you for take it into account.
  • I have noticed the same thing on my Edge 810.
    The time gap will suddenly jump by quite a few seconds. I put it down to a poor GPS signal.

I don't agree that the unit is trying to do lots of concurrent calculations for the various lead times, (KOM, PB, other athletes) because when you switch the target time mid-ride, the unit has to recalculate the +/- difference and does not show the gap immediately.

I don't know, it was only a guessing. I have never had similar problems with the edge 520. Strava live segments worked perfectly with it. I am just a little disappointed with the edge 1030. I only want to beat myself (I am my only real point of comparison), and live segments is a motivation. I am tempted to go back to edge 520.