This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030, wrong date and time of day

So my Garmin 1030 is connected to GPS and Glonass but the displayed time of day is off by 2 hours and 10 minutes. The date is wrong as well.

An indoor activity that I performed last night, the 27th was recorded as being performed on the 24th. It's now been uploaded to Connect and Strava as such. How does one fix this? I was on 3.5 last night and just updated to 3.7. During my indoor activity the GPS was turned off but having turned it on now, I would have thought it'd correct itself.
  • I just went outside for a few minutes and the time of day finally fixed itself. I guess the internal clock got screwed up with all my indoor rides without having a clear GPS signal.

I'm just surprised that syncing both to my phone and to my internet connected computer didn't clear up this time error. Lame
  • It's not lame, that is the way it is designed. Date and time are updated via GPS, completely independent of a connection to another source.
  • It is a flaw. My 1030 is off by a country mile. It gives the appearance of not uploading my rides because the date and time is off by 22 days!!! The problem with the "design" is that you cannot tell on the device itself what the "date and time" is. I was under the impression that my rides after being saved were being deleted. It got my Dec 30th ride but on the 31st, the date and time went back in time to the 12th. Why? Who knows. That is a serious flaw. Now I have to go wonder outside in the snow and freeze my hienie off to try to get it to update the clock. Hopefully, their operational specs are correct as it is -12C outside.

Edit: just got back from wandering aimlessly around out in the cold for an hour with the 1030 and it did not update the date and time after it "started" a ride. I guess it needs the connected devices to tell it is a "ride" before it tries to do anything. It only recorded my time and nothing else, no distance, speed or whatever.
  • Same here. It is just disappointing
  • Same here. very disappointing
  • You preferably must not wander around! A good GPS fix is much quicker attained when the device is not moving. So drop it outside somewhere with a clear sky view and wait some time. 15 - 20 minutes will do. Your device will not suffer at -12C :-)
  • There is a hint here that some E1030s are not keeping good time, and perhaps date at all, when not connected to a GPS signal. Has anyone reported this to Garmin Support?

While obtaining time and date from GPS satellites is clearly the best method, you would expect the units to have a reasonably reliable built in clock and calendar function, even if for no other reason that it is supposed to make use of the GPS almanac to find a GPS signal quicker!

It is a little difficult to tell from the information presented what the issue might be, for instance where the error is being observed (device, Garmin Connect, Strava...).

smithfx reports a date problem of 22 days, but provides an 18 day difference as an example.

Goes on to state that time and date can not be determined on the device, I doubt this is true. I am an E1000 user, but every image I have seen of the E1030 home screen has the time at the top right corner. On the E1000 time is also a standard data field that can be added to a data screen, is this not the case for the 1030? Garmin don't seem to provide a standard data field for date on the Edges, but there is a Connect IQ App for that.

For those that are having problems, report it to Garmin Support, perhaps after better observing the problem. I would suggest add time and date to a data screen, obtain a GPS signal, note the accuracy of time and date, turn off GPS and Glonass,, turn off the unit and come back to it tomorrow or later. Turn on the unit and note the accuracy of time and date, the longer you leave it the better the test will be.

Cheers, Peter
  • If a propper GPS sat-fix does not help to get the right date/time, try to update your timezonemap file: gmaptz.img
    Remove this file from your device (backup on PC), connect your device to PC, start Garmin Express and the download of the actual version should be offered.
  • Resurrecting this thread. I’ve been using my 1030 to record indoor rides on the turbo and now the clock is off by 3 days and won’t update. There needs to be a secondary method to set time (e.g. phone sync) when gps isn’t available.
  • I deleted the timezone map as mentioned earlier in this thread and then on the advice of Garmin support left it by a window and the time corrected, that didn't work yesterday so maybe it was the timezone map. According to the manual it should have updated the time when syncing with my phone. Sounds like a bug to me. It shouldn't rely on GPS alone as that doesn't work for indoor rides.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge1030/EN-US/GUID-15DC4645-CB16-48CF-9447-80058C7DCA83.html

Garmin support did just tell me that the 1030 only uses GPS, and if thats true I agree with previous posters who said it was lame :-)