This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Two issues: battery draining overnight and freezing up after ride

I use my 1030 on my commutes (3 days a week). I have it paired with my S7E and I have GC open. Twice now when I go to leave for my next ride my 1030 battery is completely or almost completely drained. The unit seems to do everything correctly (ride uploads, livetrack says it ends, I can use the touchscreen to move through the screens, etc). I turn the unit off with the power button which seems fine but the two days later when I go for my next commute the battery (which was at 90%) is drained. I have not had the issue of battery drainage during the day while at work (no battery loss during the day). This has not happened every time.

Not sure if this is related, but after each ride my livetrack says it has ended but when I go to look at the livetrack on the web I see the message "The activity is not yet complete, but the tracking session has ended". Is that normal? I am wondering if the 1030 is somehow leaving the GPS on or something and that is what is killing the battery.

The other issue I have had on a couple of rides is that after the ride is over and the ride is uploaded and the livetrack says it ended the unit will freeze up on the results page. I see messages on the top of the screen about deleting all segments and stuff but the screen is frozen and only a long press of the on/off button and reboot lets me access the unit again.

The latter issue is a mild annoyance but the first issue is really bizarre and quite annoying.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    You put the 1030 off or on standby?
    I always turn it totally off and after 1 or 2 days it still has 100% battery.
  • I just push the off button and the screen goes off. I assume that was totally turning if off but perhaps this is putting it in sleep mode instead. I guess its time to RTFM :)
  • You have been putting it in sleep mode only. Hold the power button in for 2 seconds and select any of: "Lock Screen," "Sleep," or "Power Off."
  • Former Member
    So another issue solved :cool:;).
    Using the "Power off" mode will save battery life.
  • Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Does anyone know if there is a way to make a simple push of the power button be a hard off or do we always need to do the 2-step process for a hard off?
  • Former Member
    As far as I know always the 2-second push.
  • The power button on the 1030 appears to be a design improvement over the 1000 so I am hoping it will not suffer the same fate as my 1000.
  • I've had this issue too on the 1030. I generally use sleep mode since I use the device often enough and haven't had issues with battery drain between uses. Two miles into a ride yesterday I noticed the device indicated 1% battery, and a couple additional miles later it shut down. The device had been charged to full two days earlier.

Garmin documentation states, "During sleep mode, the screen is turned off and the ANT*+sensors, Bluetooth, and GPS are disconnected" so I'm not sure what would drain the battery to nearly empty on its own. WiFi?

I did receive a device software update yesterday to version 3.40 so I'll watch for this again in case that addressed the issue. Again, I've only seen this once with normal usage so it didn't seem to be a side effect of using sleep mode vs power off.
  • I am also noticing that the battery will drain overnight if I leave the device in standby instead of powering off completely. This was not an issue until very recently. Out of the box I was able to do this for several days in a row. What could be causing the device to fully deplete its battery while in standby? I feel like this started after a recent update. 

• It's the 9.50 upgrade.  Prior to that (including 9.48 beta) my 1030 could be in standby for weeks and still be at 99%.   I've now had 3 overnight events that have drained it to 0% (which does permanent damage to the battery with a corresponding reduction in capacity)..  Luckily I can still ride with my backup Karoo, but it's extremely annoying.  Now I have to remember to shut it completely OFF every time.