This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Two issues: battery draining overnight and freezing up after ride

I use my 1030 on my commutes (3 days a week). I have it paired with my S7E and I have GC open. Twice now when I go to leave for my next ride my 1030 battery is completely or almost completely drained. The unit seems to do everything correctly (ride uploads, livetrack says it ends, I can use the touchscreen to move through the screens, etc). I turn the unit off with the power button which seems fine but the two days later when I go for my next commute the battery (which was at 90%) is drained. I have not had the issue of battery drainage during the day while at work (no battery loss during the day). This has not happened every time.

Not sure if this is related, but after each ride my livetrack says it has ended but when I go to look at the livetrack on the web I see the message "The activity is not yet complete, but the tracking session has ended". Is that normal? I am wondering if the 1030 is somehow leaving the GPS on or something and that is what is killing the battery.

The other issue I have had on a couple of rides is that after the ride is over and the ride is uploaded and the livetrack says it ended the unit will freeze up on the results page. I see messages on the top of the screen about deleting all segments and stuff but the screen is frozen and only a long press of the on/off button and reboot lets me access the unit again.

The latter issue is a mild annoyance but the first issue is really bizarre and quite annoying.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I had something similar occur (powering off "failed", and left the Edge running overnight, when the battery hadn't been fully charged for a few days), and one respondent stated that he thought it occurred after the Edge 1030 lost satellites (essentially, when I brought the Edge indoors after my ride). 

When I have completed my ride, and want to connect the Edge to my computer, I notice that it takes around 30 seconds for Power Off to complete when I have lost satellites.  If it takes any longer, I press the Power button, and the Edge restarts.  Then I can power it off in only a couple of seconds, I guess because it never had the satellites to start with.

Reading this and other posts, I'm surprised by how many of you use Sleep Mode for days at a time.  I always Power Off overnight.  Power is still on in Sleep Mode, so it seems like more things could happen to cause the Edge to use battery power.

I've used PC's since they were an expensive curiosity, and IBM mainframes before that.  I was always taught to Log Off when I was finished with a session, and I do so to this day - with Facebook, Garmin Connect, Strava, or whatever that I have to Log In to use.  I guess I carry that through to my electronic devices, too.

YMMV, as they say....

• The power drain issue has been a problem over the past 2 months.  Very frustrating to fully charge then try to use the unit and see 0% battery. This is after fully powering down, not placing in sleep.  What is the solution for this?

• This happens to my wife, even when she does the proper full shutdown CB procedure. It’s absolutely maddening. 

• I had this issue from time to time. Hopefully 10.0 will fix this.

• 10.0 didn't fix it....  I just had it again.  LiPo batteries really don't like getting flattened like that, and my unit has now gone to 0% 3 times.  Not sure how much permanent damage to the battery pack as a result.  Hopefully just a few percentage points affected.  I guess the moral of the story is always leave it plugged in...

• yeah, but I swear having it plugged in (my pc) is giving the FAT file system some grief, and freezing the 1030 at start up every now and again.  I have stopped doing that, and I have had zero issues with incorrect power up through 9.5 and 10.2

• yeah good point -  Clarification - leave plugged into wall vs PC.  ;)    (My battery drainings have all been disconnected from anything. )

• I guess the moral of the story is always leave it plugged in...

Charging to 100% and leaving on charge is also bad for the battery. You'll maximise the battery life by not charging above 80% and not discharging below 40%. See https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries.

• I'm painfully aware of that as well.  Luckily the protection circuits on LiIon variants don't fully charge to 100% anymore, nor are they actually hitting 0% either.  In either case it would eventually result in a nice battery rupture, flames included.  Leaving it at "100%"  (probably closer to 90% in actuality) is far easier on it, than letting it continually get down to "0%" (probably closer to 25% to give some margin of error).. Getting beneath 30% will damage cells though,  After the incidents with the Sony laptop batteries, manufacturuers have been much more cautious with how the battery packs are rated/used..

• yep! mine drained from 100% to 3% in one hour....