This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Beware Garmins replacement for Edge explore 1000

Following discussions with Garmin over my 4 year old device not able to store more than one route, they agreed to replace it for £100. As the 1000 has been discontinued, they sent an Edge Explore which has far fewer features. They refused to allow me to return for credit, or to return my old unit which otherwise worked perfectly well. So I am now faced with having to spend £300 plus on top of the £100 I have already wasted, to purchase an 830 or 1030, to get the features I previously had  If you get problems with your Edge explore 1000, be careful if Garmin offer to replace it.

• lucky you that received a new device after many years over the warranty! obviously if you use the few features present on the 1000, your only choice is to buy an 830..same and more features with only less display.

• I don't consider being conned out of £100 for an inferior refurbished unit being lucky. I would rather have put the money towards a proper replacement.

• your unit is used and out of warranty...so giving you a newer unit, even if refurb is lucky..also considering we're talking about Garmin..

the only noticeable differences that the explorer doesn't have are DI2 data and ftp and other metrics (if you have a power meter)..otherwise nothing useful in less

• Among the 8 data screens I used when cycling, my Edge explore 1000 showed temperature, % gradient and average moving speed. None of these are an option on the replacement unit I was sold (not given). Quite a few noticeable differences for me.

• Obviously anyone has a different use the device..temperature is shown scrolling down the main page, % gradient is always positive when you’re struggling! Ahah

I could understand PW watt..it’s useful under training..otherwise I just keep speed rpm and DI2 (last one just to have some useless data!)

• "Conned" seems a bit strong considering that WAY out-of-warranty they sent you a device worth twice what you paid (£100).  When they wouldn't let you return it, you could have easily sold it on eBay for 2x that amount -- check the listing today and you'll see.  Seems like "misunderstanding" would be a better term.  You could have used the £100 profit (£100 spent on replacement, sold for £200 on eBay) to basically pay for a used Edge 1000 on eBay.