This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to recover deleted files, all files!!!!

Hi

Tried to download the latest map but I didn't have enough room on my SD card.

I then decided to format the card!! you know what's going to happen here.

Yes I formatted the Garmin instead of the card.

How can I get the image of the drive (Garmin) back?

Please help, I feel such an idiot

• A freshly formatted device will rebuild its file structure when detached from your computer and restarted. You can then connect it back to the computer and Garmin express will let you download the maps again. You will have lost all of your activities, screen settings and other settings

• And the Basemap will not be restored by GE.

• I'm not sure if I've made it clear or not all my files have been lost because of the format and it doesn't recognise the device through GE.

Spoke to Garmin UK and they have told me its impossible to recover the files and even it did the device probably won't work properly.

A bit of me says this is rubbish and they just want to sell a new one to me rather repair, seems a waste of money to me when it's only software end of the day.

• I once hosed the internal flash by doing a command line  rm -rf in the wrong terminal window, (the one in the Garmin directory of course). As I sat there feeling sick, I finally remembered: When I first bought the unit, I made a tar file of the entire directory structure before I did anything else with it. The Garmin directory was still mounted, so I was able to restore it by simply extracting the tar file into it. I don't know if this would work in a reformatted drive. It needs to be mounted on a computer to do the restore. 

• Have you unplugged the device from your pc remove the memory card and restart it

once it restarts then plug it in again and see if GE recognises it, GE looks for a particular file when it finds that file then it connects

you will have lost all of your settings and the base map so it will try and load the latest European maps with a 3 hour warning let it complete and restart it again it will take a while for the 3 dots to clear as it processes the map file 

once complete then proceed to configure screens as if just out of the box

• I'm not too much techical, but I had used a data recovery software such as Stellar Photo Recovery which easily recover deleted or lost images from my SD card. I would suggest you can try at once to fix your issue! 

• I managed to recover my Garmin but not by recovery software.

using a MacBook I opened Terminal 

typed the following 

diskutil list

it then listed all my drives with my Garmin being disk 3, however this showed it as 2 drives this was because when I accidentally formatted the drive the MacBook created a partition splitting the drive.

this is the command that worked on my Mac 

diskutil zeroDisk disk3

when entered the following popped up and it started to erase the disk 3

Started erase on disk3

[ \ 0%....................................................] 8.8% 0:51:34

this took quite some time and it goes from 0% to 100% with the progress shown across the dots.

when it complete I then used a windows laptop and formatted the drive FAT32 

hey presto it all worked.

no need to send it back to Garmin and waste at least £200.

• hi spadger it would appear i may have done the same thing, plugged in to do an update and it could not see my sd card, as prompted i tried to format the card and now its stuck on the boot up screen (edge 1000) can you explain to a complete muppet how i might get it going again? im using a mac

• Hi Buntzer

i feel your pain!

it was just after Christmas when I got mine up and running, if you have a look through the threads and type the commands in on your Mac you should be ok.

it took me several attempts to get it right using my Mac and a windows laptop. I’ll be honest I can’t really remember the exact commands but everything you need is in this post.

im sorry I don’t have time to go through it with you at this moment in time.

• Hi Buntzer

Did you manage to get your Garmin sorted?