This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Formatted Garmin Edge 1000 can't be recognised by Garmin Express.

Hi all. 

Firstly, I do apologise if my question does sound very similar to that of another thread. I've studied that one and can't find a solution.

Like the other threadstarter, I accidentally formatted my garmin unit instead of the SD card when trying to update a map. 

On Windows 10, the device was formatted under FAT32(default), quick format unchecked.

Now while the device can be recognised by the PC when the USB is plugged in (I can see a completely blank folder), it does not complete boot up (stuck at loading profiles...). Also, I tried to add the device in Garmin Express but it isnt able to detect it.

Are there any folders/files I can copy into that blank folder so that Garmin Express can detect it?

Many thanks.

Top Replies

• There is a chance we can save the device but it very well may need to be exchanged. We will need to have you reach out to us directly through support.garmin.com so that we can help you find…

All Replies

• You'll need a 'update' bootloader program and a specially crafted .rgn file that is derived from the latest version of GUPDATE.GCD (the file that contains the device software (firmware)). Normally each certified Garmin Support centre does have these tools.

• Hola buen dia, me paso algo similar, formatie por equivocacion desde mi mac el disco interno pero habia hecho una copia de seguridad de los archivos, los volvi a copiar en la memoria interna y ahora me queda trabado en loading profile, nose que hacer, por que nose si me falta algun archivo o que hacer.

• Translated:

Hello good morning, something similar happened to me, I formatted the internal disk by mistake from my mac but I had made a backup copy of the files, I copied them back to the internal memory and now I am locked in loading profile, what to do,

See my message above - you'll need the bootloader program and a specially crafted .rgn file that is derived from the latest version of GUPDATE.GCD

• claro, pero nose como hacer eso, y estuve viendo que el bootloader no esta disponible para mac, sabes si hay algun intructivo de como hacerlo?

• Translated:

Of course, but I don't know how to do that, and I was seeing that the bootloader is not available for Mac, do you know if there is any instruction on how to do it?

I'd contact the reseller or a Garmin Support Centre if that's available near you. Or maybe a Windows user with green IT-fingers who can find the needed bootloader program and the information how to generate the .rgn file?

• muchas gracias! Vere de llevarlo a garmin a que me lo solucionen! 

• When you formatted it did you label it as GARMIN try that if you haven’t and eject the usb device and restart it with no cables attached it should recreate its own folders

if not create a folder called Garmin and again eject and let it restart

hopefully it will create its xml file which helps express

• If you reformat it on the Mac you lose the MBR, which the Edge needs.

• The original poster used windows 10 to reformat the device

• Yes, but @9301720 formatted his device using a Mac...

Formatting FAT32 on a Windows (10) PC with 'Quick Format' unchecked is the first step required.