This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1000 folders

I stupidly formatted the drive of my Edge 1000 unit while trying to do a map update instead of formatting sd card.

Can i just copy folders from another unit and paste back into my unit?

Where can i get hold of these.

Seems a shame just to bin it!

I have tried to create a garmin folder and dowloaded GUPDATE.GCD. Tried reboots with and without usb but failed.

Regards in anticipation

Paul

Top Replies

All Replies

• I did this too ages ago with a Mac Computer, on a Mac it adds additional data when reformatting which confuses the Device. Try reformatting using a Windows PC as it may resolve the issue. Failing that I used the DD command to block write 0's, then when you restart it just recovers from its rom.

• Hi , I appear to have done what you and did. I accidentally formatted it on a Mac, so reformatted on a PC but the drive is completely empty when viewed on a PC. When I turn it on, it just cycles on 'Loading profiles', presumably because there's nothing on there to load! Did you manage to find a fix? I spoke to member of the Garmin support team and they said it required fixing for £195.60, which seems extortionate and not far off the price of a brand new replacement.

Thanks for your help. 

• I have tried many things but so far failed miserably. Given to friend to see if he can sort out. Will let you know outcome.

• Thanks, look forward to hearing the outcome.

• Hi , I did this quite some time ago and as I was under warranty Garmin offered a replacement. However, I managed to fix it by wiping the internal drive at the block level. The issue is that when you formatted using the Mac it created an additional partition.

The way I solved this is by using the Mac Terminal as follows (at least this is how I remember fixing it as it was a few years ago):

1 - Open an Terminal window (Applications->utilities->Terminal

2 - Find the correct device name by running: 

diskutil list

out put will look like this:

$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:                            GARMIN                 *7.8 GB     disk4

3 - Find the device with the Type Name of Garmin or whatever you have named it, in this case /dev/disk4

4 - now run the command (this can take some time):

$
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk4 bs=8192

or the follow MAY work if you do not have admin password and seems faster

$ diskutil zeroDisk disk2

Make sure the NAME OF YOUR DISK is correct, if not you may end up wiping your main hard drive or other attached device. 

5 - Wait for the command to complete

6 - Reformat you Garmin disk as a single FAT32 partition (see comments below from Stapes789)

7 - Eject your Garmin and restart

The Garmin device should now rebuild the file system as a factory fresh unit.

Please ensure you let the command finish otherwise you may brick your device, it may take some time.

You do this at your own risk,  I assume no responsibility for any issues you may encounter whilst attempting the fix outlined here, if you attempt this then this is done completely at your own risk.

Hope this helps you and please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

VPR

• Thanks @VPRide, appreciate your help. Is it possible to do this on a PC? My mac is my work computer and don't want to mess with that if at all possible.

• ,I'm sure you can but I'm not familiar with Windows so I cant help you there...

Also, did a bit more research and found my initial instructions where not quite correct so I have updated them, please check them before doing anything. Any linux type machine would be basically the same. If your not familiar with using such please try and find someone who can help.

PS - Using zerodisk does not need administrator password, and as far as I know does exactly the same thing but that is not what I used before.

• Thanks again for your help. I'm going to ask someone at work to do it for me then I'll report back and let you know how I get on!

• , it worked! We followed your instructions (the first method you listed) but did a couple of things differently:

We tried $sudo dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/disk4 bs=8192 but it completed instantly, which led us to believe it hadn't done much. We then tried $sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk4 bs=8192 and it proceeded to write the full 7.8GB of data over an hour or so.

Upon completion, I ejected the Garmin but it still didn't work. I plugged it back in and diskutility recognised it but it was uninitiated, therefore I formatted it using FAT32 and default allocation unit size (not quick format) on my PC using Window's Disk Management tool. Once that had completed, I ejected it and it booted up as normal. I then updated the software and maps via Garmin Express and it all worked fine on my morning ride.

Thanks again for helping out, you've saved me £200. Hopefully this will help others, including !

• Hi , Thats great news!!!

Yes /dev/null does not work on a Mac, sorry I thought I had updated my post which I have done now.

I didn't remember having to reformat the Garmin, but it was a long time ago and yes that makes sense, again I've updated my post (as long as its a single partition it should be fine).

Glad it worked out in the end.

Cheers,

VPRide