This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fixing Edge 1000 power button

I replaced the battery in my wife's Edge 1000, and at the same time noticed that the flexible rubber covering the power button had split. I fixed that by cutting a piece of old inner tube to the dimensions of the existing rubber cover over the button, cleaned both the piece of inner tube and the existing split cover with isopropyl alcohol, and used some clear silicone sealer between the two to glue the inner tube over the damaged cover. To hold the inner tube in place while the sealer cured, I cut a ribbon of kitchen cling wrap and wrapped it around the case to hold the repair in place.

The 1000 still powers on and off without problem with the addition piece of rubber there. Only time will tell if the repair holds together.

Replacing the battery was pretty easy, as the 1000 case is held together with eight Torx head screws. The whole job took about half an hour, including soldering the leads for the speaker/beeper to the leads on the replacement battery. Looking at my 1030 for comparison, it seems that Garmin have done their best to make it non-repairable and the battery non-replaceable, as the halves of the case are glued together, and levering them apart would probably either damage the case or render it no longer waterproof.