This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

route calculation error on Edge 1000

I have an Edge 1000 which in the past 12 months has displayed a 'route calculation error' message from time to time when I've set out on a ride. However, I was prompted by Garmin Express to do a maps update two days ago and since then I cannot get any route to work at all - everything comes up with 'route calculation error' as soon as the route is selected.  I have tried deleting all maps, saving new maps and reinstalling, but still get the same error. At the moment I have no way of saving and following a route - which is the main reason I chose this device in the first place so really keen to get this resolved.

I see people talking about which maps they have installed, but all I have are the ones that come as a default - and which have worked perfectly for over a year.  It seems like something has happened when I installed the latest updates (which took nearly two hours!)

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

• To anyone who's interested, I have solved the problem.

When I tried to reinstall the latest maps to see if this would fix the issue, I found that for some reason the device was unable to read / recognise the installed Micro SD card. I took the SD card out of the Edge 1000, put in back in without changing anything else, and everything seems to be  working perfectly now - as it has done since I bought it. Having not used the device for a few months, I wonder if going forwards it might be worth checking the micro SD card on a regular basis to make sure there is still good contact. Looking forward to my next ride already!!

• I have the same problem on 2 Edge 1000 devices.  After updating the map, both of them stopped giving me the white arrows and next cues.  I found out that's because it stopped calculating the routes for some reason.  When I click at the guide text at the top, I normally can scroll through all the cues.  This time, it just says "No active route."  I've soft and hard reset it a few times and tried your suggestion.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.  Unlike your issue, mine simply do not even attempt to calculate any of the routes.  The funny thing is if I let it calculate to the start of the route, it does so and gives me the cues, bu then there are no cues from the start of the route onward.  Very frustrating to say the least.  I've had these devices since 2015 and have had  issues here and there, but nothing like this.  I'm stumped. :-(

• I had downloaded some osm maps which were previously working ok. Now I have disabled them in mapping and route calculation error has gone. So for now I’ve just got Garmin maps enabled

Maybe Garmin have revised the routing software in an upgrade/downgrade!

• excellent. That one seems to work for me. Cheers

• That also worked for me Robbie. Disabling all maps other than the original Garmin maps.

• The Maps that should be enabled are:

• INTL Standard Basemap, NR
    • Garmin Cycle Map EU, North East, 2020.10
    • Garmin DEM Map EU 2017.20
    • Garmin Geocode Map EU 2020.10
    • Garmin Cycle Map EU, South West, 2020.10

Admin - Please could you move this to the Edge 1000 forum

• Hi everyone

11 months after raising this issue is seems I am back to square 1.  After a recent maps update I cannot get any of my routes to load without getting the perpetual "Route calculation error" and the recurring "calculating route xx%" on the screen. To try to find a solution, I have created a new route on Garmin and loaded it onto the device, I have reloaded the new maps version and updated the software but nothing is working. The only map showing as installed on my device is the "Routable Cycle map of Europe 2019.20". It looks to me like the device is not finding the maps installed. Maybe I will try a new micro SD card to see if that helps, but meanwhile, any ideas on whether there is an alternative solution?

I wasted ages yesterday trying to get my Garmin Edge to work when I should have been out on the road, so this is really frustrating!!

Thanks!

• Hi there, i think i may have experienced a similar problem to yourself regarding the 'route calculation error' on the Garmin Edge 1000. I recently had the same map update install on my Edge and ever since, whilst following a route on a ride, every 20 seconds or so i received the 'route calculation error' display on screen. I agree, it's incredibly frustrating and also quite dangerous as one is having to continually take eyes off the road to mess around clearing the screen.

I contacted both Garmin and GarminUK through twitter. Both got back to me. Garmin basically sent me to their support forums but GarminUK seemed genuinely interested in the issue asking quite a few relevant questions. They explained how to view the maps i had installed on my Edge, something i didn't know how to do beforehand. I'm waiting for them to get back to me again, but in the meantime i decided to deactivate every map that did not have 'Garmin' in the file name. Since doing this, i have not had the 'route calculation error' come up whilst following a route.

It does sound like your issue maybe slightly different but with the same error code after the same map update. Maybe you could try contacting GarminUK and see what advice they are able to give you. 

Kind regards and good luck!

James.

• There is a solution. Garmin has silently revamped the mapfile of the Cycle Map EU, South West, 2020.10. Just re-install the Garmin Cycle Map using the latest version of Garmin Express (Windows: 6.21.0.0). File name is now D6017040B.img (D6017040A.img before).

It's an omission that Garmin did not increase the Cycle Map version to for example 2020.15 in order to make the updated map visible in Garmin Express as "New map Available".

• Hi,  I have just re-installed the maps and can confirm that the new file name is now D6017040B.img.  I wonder if we would of ever known this or would it be published somewhere?