This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intermitent speed recording with magnetless sensor

I recently installed the magnetless speed and cadence sensors on my new bike. I could pair easily with my Edge 500. During my first ride, speed recording was intermittent, sometimes showing zero or values clearly wrong. The cadence readings seems to be ok.

I returned the sensor to the LBS and they gave me a new set. The problem still persists. Is there any compatibility problem with 500 or am I just very unlucky to get two different units with the same problem?

Tried to:
- flip the sensor direction;
- approximate the Edge unit to the sensor (when trying with the bike mounted on a repair stand).
- remove the battery, wait 30 seconds

No improvement.

I've also measured the battery voltage using a multimeter, it shows 3.02V.

Do someone have a clue of what may be happening?

PS: On my other bike, with conventional sensors, I get correct readings using the same Edge 500 unit.
  • I have an Edge 820, with all Garmin sensors, HR, cadence and speed.  I have no other electronics on the bike.  The speed sensor continued to lose connection, and re connect 12 times on a 30 minute indoor training ride on Zwift.  I just installed a replacement Garmin speed sensor and I have the exact same problem.  The HR and cadence sensors seem to keep connected just fine, it's just this durn speed sensor that keeps losing connection.  I've just read some of these other comments about the connection working better when the sensor is installed on the front wheel, but on the trainer, that is not a good solution.  I've had this same trainer and bike set up for the past two years without an issue, it's just lately the speed sensor has been an issue. Yes, I have changed batteries several times without much luck.  Do I have two bad sensors?  What is the operating range of the speed sensor? Can things like the rider or water bottles "block" the signal getting to the head unit?