This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Marq Captain bezel white dots coming off

Hi,

My MARQ Captain started shedding some of the white dots / tick marks that are painted on the bezel.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

• Any issues with the ceramic bezel on your MARQ, please do not hesitate to reach out to Outdoor Product Support in your region to have it addressed.

• Hi Chris,

I've received a replacement watch from product support even though the watch had been out of warranty, which is very generous, thank you Garmin!

Frankly, I had bought another (used) Marq Captain out of frustration after I had sent in my original one, this one had seen practically zero use and is still under warranty.

-> Today, after my second pool swim with it, the paint of the bottom part of the number 5 on the bezel has come off. It likely happened when I was on my bike after the swim, potentially because of the cuffs of my bicycle shirt gently rubbing on the watch while still humid.

I was planning to upgrade to a gen2 Captain later this year so I would like to know whether this was just bad luck or whether there is a design issue (making paint stick to ceramics is not easy I reckon), and how this has been addressed in the case of Marq Captain gen2.

Interestingly, I've not had this issue with my Marq Aviator which has probably seen more water use than the two Captains combined (it has other issues though...), nor have I had similar issues with any of the mechanical diver watches that I've owned.

Don't get me wrong, the Marq line a fantastic product. It's just that I'm interested to know whether I should rather consider the Aviator gen2 for water sports use instead of Captain gen2

Cheers

Dragan

• Oh, no. My sincere apologies you have another MARQ Captain with a bezel issue. I can see how many customers worldwide that have warranty exchanged their MARQ due to a ceramic bezel issue. Given how small the number has been, I can say it has been an extremely rare issue when doing the math. Regardless, the issue should not happen and it is considered a manufacturing defect.

If you haven't already, please reach out to Outdoor Product Support to advise the issue is a manufacturing defect to see if you can exchange again. I am sorry for the bad luck.

• Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply.

So I understand the problem is mostly/only affecting Captain? Has there been any design or manufacturing change for gen2 Captain so this doesn't repeat?

Best regards

Dragan

• The information I can provide is that we always investigate the cause for an abnormal issue such as the ceramic bezel issue you have experienced and there are improvements made with each generation based on what we have learned after looking deeply into potential causes.

I cannot personally guarantee what will happen with the MARQ (Gen 2) watches that have a ceramic bezel but we have not had any reports thus far and we hope to never have a report of an issue.

• OK thanks, that is how I see it as well. Manufacturing is manufacturing, there can always be surprises.

I'll anyway go for the gen2 at some point, just a pity there's no gen2 with the MIP display... I know I'm likely the only user who prefers MIP over AMOLED...

Best regards

Dragan

• You're not the only one.  IMHO they should have kept the Endurance model as MIP

• hi Chris,

I am sorry to say that again a dot has fallen off and the number 4 has also been affected. This is now my second watch. I am really disappointed about the quality of this watch.

• I am sorry the issue has happened a 2nd time. I noticed you owned the first watch just shy of 2 years and then your second Captain just over 2 years. It is agreed on our end you should not experience an issue with your bezel and its build. My sincere apologies it has happened again.

I will be sending you a direct Private Message after I research further on our end. It will be a little later today. Mid-afternoon my time and early-to-mid evening your time.

• Hi Chris, thanks for contacting me so quickly and offer a neat solution. Great service, thank you!