This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ways to touch up some light scratches on Marq case

Just was wondering any best practices to remove some light wear on the case of my Aviator.  Second day of owning it, lol I seem to have gotten some very light scratches on the side when I was comparing it to my Fenix 6.  The metal button from the other watch rubbed the Marq at one point.   Its barely noticeable, but I know as time goes on more and more will happen.. so wanted to see if there is a simple way to polish that by hand?

• I assume you mean on an area that is a brushed finish?

If so, I know people speak highly of the results they get using a Eurotool Fibreglass Scratch Pen:

https://www.eurotool.com/FIBERGLASS-SCRATCH-BRUSH--EXTRA-THIN_p_1089.html

They come in two sizes - the link above is the finer tip but they also sell a standard one. Amazon and other places sell them but beware of sellers who are offering knock-offs - these are made in Germany.

They work in the way you'd use an eraser; however, as a brushed surface is made up of lots of tiny scratches in one direction, you would need to work in that direction, to avoid making the 'repair' look more obvious than the scratch.

I have a decent sized scratch on the side of my Captain and I'm going to give one of these pens a try.

• Thanks so much! I would love to see some before and after pics of your Captain when you do this!  Please update me :-)

• Well, I have to say, I am very impressed! I spent about five minutes working on the scratch with the pen, going back and forth in a light motion, from the top of the case to the bottom. 

At first I thought it wasn’t improving the condition of the case or removing the scratch but gradually it was obvious that the scratch was being removed. I could have done more and gotten it absolutely perfect but I was worried about scratching too near the black line that divides the bezel from the main case. I will probably go back and go over the entire case, now that I know it works, and spend more time on it.

Here are a couple of photos - it is hard to capture the case with an iPhone but it should give you an idea!

Before:

And AFTER:

• WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  THAT is really incredible.  I actually can't believe it.  Okay, great.. so that works for me, LOL.  I guess when I see very tiny, micro scratches I have zero to worry about.   

Funny, I am starting to see why this material (Titanium) perhaps was a good choice.. its lighter vs. steel, and we can simply touch up vs. having to go to a jeweler and pay for a full polishing.  So, I do like that!

• PS - for clarity, the Eurotool was out of stock, so I ordered a similar pen, that was in stock for next day delivery and was also one third of the price (£7.00)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UZ8VNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The photos don't do the repair justice - in person you can now hardly see the scratch - I am genuinely surprised at how well it work. This may sound line an infomercial but I promise I am not on commission! Smiley

• Yes!  I know what you mean.  The camera always makes it look worse.  But, this is amazing!  THANK YOU for the follow up, hopefully this also inspires others to not worry so much about the case picking up scratches etc.

EDIT - I bet this would also work well for the Titanium bracelet.. 

• Also was curious, how is your ceramic bezel holding up?

• Yes, the photos make my Captain look like an old dog, which it is not; hence why the deep scratch (you could catch your nail on the edge) was so frustrating. I caught it on the sharp edge of a glass table, in a downward motion - so when I did it, I knew it was going to be a bad mark. I collect mechanical watches, so tend to take care of them and have gotten pretty good at not smacking them into objects Smile and my Fenix 6 is saved for the rough stuff.

As for the ceramic bezel, it is perfect - not a mark on it - but having had other premium (non smart) watches, that doesn't surprise me. You have to be really unlucky to damage a ceramic bezel and it is more about what you hit it with and the angle than the material itself being fragile.

• I wanted to ask you another question.  Today, I noticed that I have scratches on the INSIDE of the lugs, near the spring bar.  So far I have only used the Garmin bands.  I am thinking this is either from the titanium band, or the leather one (because it has a metal quick fit latch).  Is this normal?  I dont think its a big deal, but wanted to see.

• So, I bought the Eurotool.. and I lightly attempted to remove a tiny, tiny mark on the side of my Aviator.. and as soon as I did one pass, I felt like I made it 1000% worse!  This tool added a ton of new scratches now :-(    Maybe the watch needs to be a bit more "used" and scratched up first before using this.. I dont know.  But, man.. I was not expecting that after seeing your results.   Maybe there is a less abrasive pad, or something softer that I can try?