This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Aviator AutoFly and Flight Timer

Okay a few weeks ago I asked about the automatic timer based on altitude. I've done some experimenting and here is what I learned.

AutoFly simply engages the Fly activity when it detects a rate of climb/descent higher than your set amount. It DOES NOT start the timer, however. 

Flight Timer, when triggered by something (more on that later) opens the flight activity (if not already there) and also starts and stops the timer. 

When I say triggered by something, it's because it's not clear to me if it's speed or rate of climb/descent that triggers it. The manual is not super helpful clarifying the two different settings. 

From this I have to ask, Garmin, what in the world are you doing? Why would I need the Fly activity to open but not start the timer? 

Garmin, I hope you will change the software to instead offer the following options:

AUTOTIMER: Takeoff / Land / Both / Off

AUTOTIMER Trigger: Speed / Vertical Speed / Both

Speed Trigger: [enter speed]

Vertical Speed Trigger: [enter vertical speed]

As an instructor pilot, I do a lot of stop and go patterns, I'd like to use the autotimer function, but I can't if it's going to stop every time I land. I'd like it to start when I take off (in case I forget) but only stop when I stop it manually (I can always trim the activity if I forget that). 

Garmin, for a $2000 watch you can do better!