This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature Request: Change Expected Sleep Time By Day

Hello fellow MARQ enthusiasts!  I would like to suggest (and see how many of you would agree), based on my own usage of the MARQ that Garmin should add customizable sleep times for each day on Garmin Connect.  This would improve the potential accuracy of the sleep tracking algorithm since, for example, my expected sleep window on the weekends differs vastly from my sleep window during the week.  Having more granular control over these windows would, in theory, allow me to obtain better sleep tracking results.  What do y'all think?

Top Replies

All Replies

• No interest here. The sleep start and end times are detected for me irrespective of whether I go to sleep before or after the DND times I have set.

• I think this is a good idea and welcome additional feature.Should include all naps as well ...

• Are you using the new beta sleeping feature?  I would agree with you on the old metrics that happened on the computer, but the watch-based metrics seem to be heavily reliant on that sleep window in my usage.

• Naps would definitely be useful, but I think they would have to show up as another sleep window in the day.  I think completely customizing your sleep window would be a viable solution to the naps question, especially if you take naps at a specific time and want to have set zones for sleep monitoring.

• how do you all use sleep travking? I find it does not give any kind of useful or actionable information, naps included or not...

About the only useful metrics to me are stress tracking for a general “am I doing the same as I feel I am doing” thing, and body battery, which more or less captures everything including sleep and recovery...

What do you all look for in sleep tracking? (Honest question, I might be missing out on some things)

• I personally don't find much value in sleep tracking - I generally have a good idea of how much sleep I get and how well I sleep. But that goes for nearly everything. Hydration, stress, etc.

And sleep isn't just there, it's on the Insights page of GC with running, cycling, swimming, and stepping. Garmin makes a deal of it - so people pay attention to it.

I think the intent of the question is: if it is a feature that is included, and it isn't accurate, why not make it better? The poster is just implying a way to make the sleep tracking feature better.

Body Battery is an interesting one. Three days ago I came off a night of 7 hours of good sleep, was at low perceived stress, 100% body battery, hydrated, and my body just didn't want to run. Got half a mile in and just came home and went back to bed. 

So my question is - how much of any of it matters?

If it's there, make it better. I think it's a good idea.

• Are you using the new beta sleeping feature?

I am. But I’ve only been looking at it since it started being estimated on the watch.

I don’t see any value in it personally. I know when I’ve slept well. I know what I need to do to sleep well.Happy for those folks who really get ‘excited’ by the quality of the numbers and push for improvements. However, I bought the watch to track my activity from swimming, running, and cycling. 

And please, spare me the lectures on how important sleep is for good performance. I know that. I also know what I need to do without a watch estimating some numbers that might or might not be accurate. I also know whether or not I had a restless night. 

• I personally have been using the new advice on the sleep tracking to explain my sleep and I find that it's been pretty accurate about telling me how I slept and how I'm feeling--it's just not always getting the sleep window right.

• I think you highlighted on an important point--features like body battery are based on the level of perceived stress and the amount and quality of the sleep.  If Garmin chooses to pursue holistic training metrics that measure an individual's entire day (including their active and resting periods) as part of understanding the athletes better, then having accurate sleep metrics is crucial.

• Yes fully agree, if it’s there make it work, then improve it!

I did not mean to imply that it shouldn’t be improved, apologies if it came over that way