This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate sensor show very high result

Hello,
Got a problem indicated above. Doing cardio shows after about 5 minutes the value above 160 bpm. But after turning and switching on again watches got back to the normal result about 130 bpm. 

But on the running mode seems pretty ok. 
How to get rid of that?

• Try the same with a run - sitting on a bike is not a real problem ... moving the arm gives the bad results ...

• You probably missed the bit where I described I was on a Mountain Bike on rough tracks for most of the ride with lots of vibration; which I have traditionally found has been more likely to throw WHR off than running has. I’ll happily give the same test a go on my next walk-run workout (currently recovering form an acute achilles tendinitis injury last year), but I’d equally ask you to see if 8.73 beta improves things for you whilst running too.

There is a relevant cross reference to the various WHR complaints on the Fenix 6 forum a while back (software 8.10 and earlier), where there was a specific issue with broadcast WHR not tracking above 100 bpm on an indoor bike trainer (let alone on a mountain bike over rough terrain - as I’ve just tested). So it might be reasonable to initially surmise that software 8.73 beta (or, more likely, one of the accompanying peripheral software updates) includes an improvement to WHR over software 8.10.

• I've just tested the MARQ broadcasting WHR from the Controls menu (so not with the Run app open and "Broadcast During Activity" On), recording that signal on the Fenix 6X using the CIQ Auxiliary HR DF app to compare against my HRM Tri strap.  The results are 50% hit and miss for the MARQ WHR picking up the rapid rise in heart rate where I do the 1.5 minute run sections of my walk-run rehab program https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4736942696 (my physiotherapist will probably tell me off for not stopping at 30 minutes as I'm supposed to Grimacing).

As I understand it, using Broadcast HR from the controls menu/health stats widget/WHR settings only uses the WHR in the low power 24/7 watch mode, as opposed to a higher power mode reserved for when you start an activity.  So next time I do one of these walk-run workouts, I'll actually record the activity on the MARQ with the Run activity app (as well as the Fenix 6X), to give a direct comparison and confirm a better hit rate for picking up the HR rise and fall when in the higher power WHR mode.  (BTW, before anyone asks, I do also send all this info back to the folks at the end of the email address in the beta threads on this forum)

• I have now tested the MARQ WHR 'in activity' whilst running and the results are good when compared to my HRM-Tri strap recorded with the Auxiliary HR CIQ app; maybe not perfect, but good enough once you adjust for the Y axis difference in the graph below https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4750319977 (in case anyone is wondering, the running dynamics in the activity came from my RD pod as the HRM-Tri was switched off in the sensor settings).  As I was doing my achilles injury rehab workout cycle of 3 minutes walking then 2 minutes running (the run bits often uphill), the watch was having to cope with big/rapid changes in HR as well as cadence; relatively demanding conditions for WHR.  This shows the MARQ WHR sensor is capable of acceptable performance when running, so if you're still having issues with WHR whilst running (recording with the Run app), I firmly recommend trying the 8.73 beta software (or newer), as well as all the usual Garmin support recommendations about strap tightness and watch position.

As an aside, I was running the exact same configuration on my Fenix 6X Pro Solar (8.73 beta too) on my other wrist and the WHR from that was really good also, so not a one off fluke on the MARQ. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4750319834

• I think it is also a matter of individual wrist configuration and how much hair one has. I am relatively on the low side of hair, but I remember when I was trying to find the best WHR position, shaving provided better results (still not perfect, but it was like 2 years ago). Anyway, you make curios so I will try the new beta in this respect. Thanks.

• Oh I have plenty of body hair (I was nicknamed 'The Bear' a few years back Rofl) and the only shaving I do is on my face (I haven't done any shaving on my arms or where the watch sits).  I do have a relatively light skin tone though.  So on balance I'm neither a perfect nor worst case type of subject for WHR.  At the end of the day, I agree there will be some people for whom Garmin's WHR algorithms just won't work; with another manufacturer's being a good fit instead or perhaps WHR is a complete loss to them regardless of manufacturer (then chest straps or perhaps ear/forehead based OHR sensors are the best move for them).  I think we (consumers) may need to see WHR manufacturers a bit like clothes or shoe manufacturers; some just have a cut/fit that suits your body and others don't (regardless of how much they cost).

In the meantime, it can't hurt to try the latest beta updates.  (In over 4 years of using the beta SW posted on these forums, I've only ever once seen a release where there was a significant stability issue (not terminal though) and on that occasion that beta was pulled almost immediately and another released to fix the issue the next day.)

• Ok ex-The Bear :-) I tried the latest beta but re WHR the result was not promising, sometimes above sometimes below to up to 20 or even 30 bpm and I tried a snug fit of the watch and my hands are worm as I am indoors, but I will probably still try another session and see...

• If you're indoors, what sort of activity are you doing if you don't mind me asking?  Indoor bike or treadmill running should be OK, but from my experience of: strength training, rowing, circuits, yoga and the like, I would expect an epic fail from any form of OHR anywhere on your arms.

• Yes - that is the 'normal' bad result. And it doesn't matter if you are inside or outside. Moving the arms coursers this ...

Who knows .... there might be a patent that makes a really improvement difficult or impossible?!

• Strength training and yoga until I recover from a leg injury to be able to run on my elliptical or bike trainer.