This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why Marq battery life doesn’t last as long as fenix 6X?

It’s quite disappointing to note that fenix 6X goes for 21 days without charge but new Marq Expedition for only 12 days. Even if fenix is slightly larger, the difference should have been less and its premium model.

Why does it not last as long Fenix 6X Pro? 

• I am keeping my watch in battery saver mode almost constantly. Only during activities it gets out of this mode, to stay connected to the phone and afterwards to upload the session.

This is how I get up towards 12 or more days of life out of my Marq, given my personal use case. 

But, if I just charge it to 100% and have it in Smartwatch mode, with everything on, light at 5% (button only), no vibration on buttons and no pulse OX, the estimate says 13 days.

Since I do not care much for notifications on the watch, and rather like the simplicity of the low power watch face I keep it in battery saver mode. This gives me pretty much the same performance as my older F5, with the added benefits from the Marq series, like maps, updated Firstbeat algorithms and more. In a quite nice package. 

Going back to the OP, I can only assume that the battery in the Marq has a slightly smaller capacity than the F6. Either for space reasons or for choice of supplier. I do not know.

My watch is currently at 76% or 25 days in battery saver mode. Or 10 days in Smartwatch mode. I had 99% this morning, but now 14 hours later 76%. This includes a bit more than 6 hours of GPS on (with some map screen on), so pretty much according to specs. 

• You are comparing 6 Pro, not 6X Pro.

That’s because 6 Pro is a similar size to the MARQ. The 6X Pro is a much larger watch than the MARQ or 6 Pro, so has space for a much bigger battery; so it should be no surprise the 6X has better battery life.

• I'm sure most components are same but 420 mAh battery of 6X Pro is definitely bigger than what they could put inside the smaller MARQ casing.

• I was looking for the capacity in mAh of Venu 2s, which seems to be 180mAh (found at another source), and I found a good website referring to capacities of some GPS watches. See https://awesomewrist.com/Garmin-Fenix-6-Pro-Solar/

So MARQ and F6 Pro seems to have 340 mAh, which itself explains difference of 20% in battery life. On the other hand it should imply appr. 16.5-17 days for them. Why do they have less than 17 days, I have just bets, but it would be mere speculation.

• To the best of my knowledge, the F6 has a 255 mAh battery, and the F6X a 420 mAh battery. Just a few days ago I charged my 2,5 year old Marq using a USB charging meter, from empty to full. It stopped charging at 269 mAh, so I assume the Marq also has a 255 mAh battery, but it could be less assuming that the USB meter may over-report charging.

• If so, meaning that 6 Pro has 255 mAh (maybe 6 Pro Solar has a  battery of different capacity) then maths works: 255/420*21days=12.75 days.

• I've opened mine since its way past warranty at this point.  It's a 255 mAh battery.  Judging by the amount of room, one should be able to put a slightly bigger battery in there but I'm not sure if the 430 mAh would fit or if there is a size in between available.

• Do you have some photos that you can send me? I am interested to see if I am amble to change the battery myself. And my 2nd question, did you find a place to buy a battery replacement? I could not...

Thanks

• Search on aliexpress, plenty there.  Sorry, I didn't take too many photos.  XK-100005-17001A.  search for garmin fenix battery (or similar).

https://imgur.com/a/t72CmZd

https://imgur.com/a/wOQbAXX

• Thanks for the images. Am I seeing correctly? the battery has a plug in socket that you just need to plug in or it requires soldering?

Unfortunately I could not find on Aliexpress anything for Fenix 6 or after that code, only for Fenix 5. What is written behind that label? 3,7V with 255mAh?