Baro/Alt/Temp Failure After Upgrade from 6.60/1.20/gps unknown

New Instinct owner here and having some... difficulties, I guess. Never had any Garmin products before so pretty new to this but may be getting a handle on some of it.

• Bought Instinct new from Best Buy
  • Went through first setup, paired with Garmin Connect on iOS
  • Garmin Connect pushed new Instinct firmware, SensorHub firmware, and GPS firmware to device in three separate updates
  • Did not look at ABC features before updates but, after updates, altimeter shows "684/684" and 684 feet and never moves, barometer shows "83886/83886" and "--" and never moves.
  • As I didn't previously check the ABC feature and didn't know anything about it, exchanged device for another new Instinct
  • This time noted starting versions: 6.60 f/w, 1.20 SensorHub f/w, inexplicably did not write down GPS f/w ver
  • Confirmed that alt and baro gave sensible readings before applying any updates (both moved on walks and up/down stairs)
  • Applied updates in order Connect pushed them (Instinct f/w, then SensorHub f/w, then GPS f/w) but after the GPS firmware was updated got the same result as previous device: same alt reading that never moves, same baro reading that never moves, and temp is also locked at 94 F.
  • Attempting to calibrate the altimeter or barometer results in immediate "calibration failed" after selecting set value, use DEM, or use GPS on both devices.

Here are some of the things I've done to resolve the issue on both devices:

• Performed full reset through menu (settings | system | reset | delete data and reset settings); no change
  • Performed full reset by having device off, holding SET/BACK down while pressing CTRL/LIGHT to turn device on, waiting for "reset default settings" to appear and then selecting "yes" to perform the reset; no change
  • Performed full reset by having device off, holding down ABC/DOWN, GPS/START, SET/BACK together while pressing CTRL/LIGHT to start device, wait for first beep and releasing GPS/START, waiting for second beep and releasing remaining buttons; no change
  • Found 7.51 beta f/w, put gupdate.gcd in /GARMIN folder, applied update; no change
  • Rolled back to 7.00 via gupdate.gcd in /GARMIN folder, applied update; no change
  • Rolled back to 6.60 and SH 1.20 by gupdate.gcd files in /GARMIN and /GARMIN/REMOTESW respectively; no change
  • Cannot find GPS f/w file so cannot test GPS f/w changes
  • Reset the device in any number of permutations on what was, until today, production software: 7.00/1.40/2.60; no change. 
  • Just used Basecamp/WebUpdater to load 7.20 and SH 1.40; no change.
  • Reset device after 7.20/1.40 via multi-button method; no change
  • Checked device filesystem for extra .gcd files, none found; no change
  • Went all the way back to 2.60/1.10 and reset again; no change

Given I had two devices do the same thing after applying 7.00/1.40/2.60, I'm thinking that either I'm not alone in sensor failures after these updates or that there's a secret step or secret fix required to repair the device. I did have one combination of changes back to 7.00/1.40/2.60 result in the baro showing a real value (1022) and would allow me to calibrate the sensor but it never changed unless I calibrated the device and then it would simply remain at that number until another calibration was performed. The only thing that was different that time, I believe, was that I did two or three multi-button resets in a row. 

I get the impression that something is either failing to initialize the sensors themselves or the memory addresses used by the sensors but I also have a pretty surface-level understanding of the device in the 2 days I've owned it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!